PDA

View Full Version : Buying cheaper avionics in the US for a G reg aeroplane

Romeo Romeo
20th Aug 2004, 08:25
The pound to dollar exchange rate is pretty strong at the moment. Is it possible to take advantage of this and buy avionics in the States for fitting in a G registered aeroplane? I'm thinking about getting a Garmin nav/com.

If it is possible, are there any pit-falls to watch out for?

S-Works
20th Aug 2004, 09:04
as long as they have the correct paperwork there is no problem. However by the time you have paid shipping, duty and VAT the prices are actually no different rfom someone like Harry Mendellsohn (gps.co.uk).

Most peope tend to think that converting the US$ price to UK£ is what they will pay, but you have to add another 21% to that price for duty and shipping.

I bought a Nav/Com like this a year ago and the truth was at the end of the day I saved nothing!

I got a Garmin GPS shipped to a friend inthe US and he brought it over with him on a trip but I still had to pay Florida sales tax and again it did not really save much.

The final thing to consider is warranty. Sending something back and forwards to the USA for repair is a pain. I have had to send my Narco NCS812 Nav/Com/DME back 5 times for repair. This has led to endless arguments with customs who try to charge me duty every time!

The grass is not always greener!

Romeo Romeo
20th Aug 2004, 14:38
I've just rung Harry Mendellsohn and I see what you mean. Has anyone got and recommendations for good avionics fitting service?

muffin
20th Aug 2004, 14:50
As you are in Nottingham, Tatenhill Aviation are excellent. However, don't expect them to be overjoyed if you turn up with kit you bought cheap elsewhere (especially from HM) and want them to fit it.

Chilli Monster
20th Aug 2004, 14:57
Never heard anything bad said about Tatenhill Aviation (http://www.tatenhill-aviation.co.uk/) - not that far for you too.

IO540
20th Aug 2004, 15:45
I think if you get an 8130-3 form then you are OK, for a Transport CofA plane.

However the bigger problem will be that the avionics shop won't make their trade margin on it, so they won't be half as keen to do the fitting as if they supplied it. The trade margin is usually at least as big as the overtly quoted installation cost.

A and C
20th Aug 2004, 17:39
The type of C of A is not an issue , you can't fit a major part to an aircraft without an 8130-3 or a JAA form 1.

I have fitted 3 transponders , ADF , three nav/COM's to the aircraft that I own over the last two years and buying from the USA was an option that I ruled out.

A small amount of money can be saved BUT you will get naff all product support , in the long run just one snagg will tip the balance in favour of buying from a UK avionics shop.

I would try lees avionics for a quote.

www.leesavionics.co.uk

GARDENER
20th Aug 2004, 19:03
There is always the option of bringing one back from the states and cheating duty and VAT! Or better still knowing someone coming back from the states as then they take the rap if caught;)
This of course is a joke as I think it would be a terrible thing to rob the government....

skydriller
20th Aug 2004, 19:38
Bose_x

Out of interest, how come you had to pay Florida sales tax on something shipped to your friend? I did a similar thing buying a GPS and as I bought it over the web/phone and it was shipped to an address in the US, you dont pay 6-8% sales tax on it like you would something bought from a shop. The only extra I paid was shipping....Oh... and of course I paid VAT on the item when I brought it into Europe:E

Regards, SD..

englishal
21st Aug 2004, 19:15
However by the time you have paid shipping, duty and VAT
Get a cheap flight to the USA, and stick it in your bag;).........of course I would never consider such dishonest behaviour.........

(My Mrs brought back an 8" telescope last summer, and saved a bundle. )

S-Works
22nd Aug 2004, 14:57
for fitting, David Jones of Airspeed Aviation at Derby Airfield. VERY competive on price, superb quality of work and above all perfectly happy to fit kit bought elsewhere. In fact on stuff like this they activly encourage it so they do not have the capital outlay on low margin stuff. He has done 2 aircraft for us with GNS430, DME, ADF etc and the work has been stunning.

Harry M will actually reccomend Airspeed.

Tatenhill and Aerocoms etc are supposed to be of a very high standard as well but also of a VERY high price.

Sky Driller - I paid Florida sales tax because that was where it was bought and shipped to an address there. We cant have the best of all worlds!

bfato
22nd Aug 2004, 20:14
Skydriller,
State sales tax on mail order or internet sales is chargable only if the retailer has a physical presence in the State to which the item is delivered. So if you are in Florida, for example, and bought from an outfit with shops in, say, California, Colorado and Utah plus a warehouse in New Jersey, then you wouldn't pay sales tax. But if they had an sales office up the road, then you would. Strange rule but there you go.

edit to say that the business will be deemed to have a physical presence in the State in which it is registered, even if it has no shops as such.

Davidt
24th Aug 2004, 08:16
Try Avionicare Southend excellent work + can get old kit working that others want to write off and replace.

FWA NATCA
24th Aug 2004, 15:27
Be patient, wait until next year and either attend the Sun n Fun EAA fly in held in Florida, or go to the EAA Air Venture fly at
oshkosk Wisconsin. Aircraft electonics can be purchased at discount from the manufacturers and/or vendors.

Mike
NATCA FWA