PDA

View Full Version : help please!

wingtip777
20th Aug 2004, 04:45
1. what are the difference between:"line oriented" simulator training; recurrent trainig; proficiency check; competency check?
2. what is a batman? what does he do on the airplane?
thanks a lot!!

keithl
20th Aug 2004, 10:05
Where the word "Training" appears it's not a "Check". When it's a Check you have to pass it to maintain a qualification. When it's "Recurrent" it is stuff that needs to be repeated at regular intervals. Competency and proficiency are used more or less interchangeably.

"Line oriented" means a more-or-less realistic simulation of a line flight, concentrating on such issues as CRM, Command decisions, "grey-area" rules, etc. rather than the "Handling & Emergencies" type of sim trip.

I'm not going into what you actually have to do as that varies with Operator, Authority, Aircraft type, etc. but you can decode the phrases with the info above.

A batman brings you tea in the morning (or used to...). I never let mine on the aircraft.

keithl
20th Aug 2004, 13:38
Having given others time to pick it up - and no-one has - I have to ask:

In what context is your reference to a "batman" in an aircraft? Where did you hear the term used? It wouldn't be the Marshaller (with 'bats') who guides you while taxying would it?

Or does it only apply to Robin aircraft??

ShyTorque
21st Aug 2004, 08:39
A Batman might be used during night flying, or if it is suspected that a penguin might be encountered in flight.

Otherwise he is just left to hang upside down in the wardrobe, in the care of an old chap called Alfred.

To quote a TV documentary on the matter:

Dada, dada, dada, dada, dat! BATMAN!! ;)