PDA

View Full Version : C172 Take-Off Flap

Ham Phisted
8th May 2000, 23:40
Probably a dull question (only dull question is one you don't ask blah blah blah) but why do Cessna recommend a flapless take-off? Using 10 deg flap would, for example, reduce take-off speed, ground roll, tyre wear etc. Is the aim of 0 deg flap to reduce drift on take-off? Don't wish to die in a ditch over this and if I've missed the flamingly obvious I'd prefer the ritual humiliation in a quiet, dark place. Thanks

DB6
9th May 2000, 00:10
Not sure about the 172 specifically but generally using take-off flap reduces ground roll but increases take-off distance i.e. reduces the rate of climb. They probably recommend flap for a short field take off for this reason, but if don't have a short field then you generally want best rate of climb after takeoff i.e. no flap.
Cheers DB6

Tinstaafl
9th May 2000, 00:58
Flap setting for take-off depends on type.

eg C150 is 0 deg
C152 is 10 deg
C172 varies with year model as best I can recall
C182 is 0 to 20 deg (20 for short field)
C210 is 10 deg

etc etc

The trade off is Angle climb after take-off vs. Ground roll. At some point the reduced climb performance will have a greater effect on TOTAL distance to 50' than the gain from the reduced ground roll.

Available horsepower to overcome drag will have an effect in determining the recommended setting. I suspect that the C150 / C152 difference reflects the extra horsepower available in the C152.

[This message has been edited by Tinstaafl (edited 08 May 2000).]

Ham Phisted
9th May 2000, 03:16
Thanks guys, good answers and wholly believable.

Ham