PDA

View Full Version : UK pilots!!! Help with runway incursion study

vikvallabh82
19th Aug 2004, 13:27
Dear Sir or Madam,

I am contacting you from the Cranfield University Human Factors Department where I am studying for a Masters degree in Human Factors and safety Assessment in Aeronautics. I am conducting research into runway incursions from the pilots’ perspective. Runway incursions are deemed one of the greatest threats to the aviation industry due to the high risk nature of airside operations.

The Civil Aviation Authority (UK) is working on methods to raise awareness of the hazard of runway incursions amongst everyone involved in airside operations and is working with aerodrome operators, aircraft operators and air traffic control service providers to reassess procedures and training that might contribute to a runway incursion.

The aim of my research is to try and identify the causal factors behind runway incursions from a pilot’s perspective and consider what kinds of preventative measures could be implemented to reduce them.

I am looking for people with airline flying experience (Captains, First Officers or retired), to take part in interviews dealing with the issues surrounding the topic of runway incursions. From these interviews I hope to gain information regarding what pilots regard as trouble spots in ground operations and where there may be gaps within the system. The work will primarily form part of an MSc thesis but will also be used in future work the university is planning to do within the EU.

I wish to carry out the interviews within the next few weeks; either over the telephone or in person at a location of mutual convenience. The interviews should last approximately 45 minutes and can be held at any time during the day, or weekend. All information I receive from the interviews will be recorded and de-identified before being transcribed. All personal information shall remain strictly confidential and it will not be possible to identify any individual.

If you would like further information regarding the project or would like to arrange a time, or location to do the interview please do not hesitate to contact me either on the email address or telephone number below. In order to obtain a wide range of views about the issues, I would like to interview as many pilots as possible. If you know of any individuals, either within or outside your airline, who may be interested in the research it would be most appreciated if you could forward my email to them.

Thank you very much for your assistance in this research.

Yours thankfully

Vikash Vallabh
Email: [email protected]
Tel: (+44) 07855277625