PDA

View Full Version : Can I teach JAA PPL in USA on my CAA/JAA FI ticket?

juswonnafly
8th May 2000, 20:31
Hi guys, I have seen the thread on converting UK to USA tickets but I was wondering if it is possible to teach JAA PPL students in America on my UK licence?

I assume this would be possible at one of the CAA approved schools.

I do not want to convert to FAA as this would only be for a short time (while I get the hours in!)

Any thoughts anyone?

JWF

Stan Evil
9th May 2000, 00:16
The short answer is no. Irrespective of where the end product is going, if you want to instruct PPL in the USA then you need FAA ratings. Look at it the other way, what would be the reaction to an FAA pilot setting up a school in the UK with no UK/JAA licences??

kalik
9th May 2000, 01:11
Ummm , not strictly true I'm afraid Stan .

Believe it or not , there actually are foreign instructors working in the U.S. conducting training for the issue of CAA / JAA licences without holding FAA ratings . I have met some of them and I must say that I think they are in a somewhat unenviable position . Where do they stand in the event of an accident whilst the student is solo ? They are teaching under the FAA system , the only difference being that the end result is a CAA / JAA licence .

Stan is absolutely right about jobs for the boys though . It beggars belief that these instructors with very little experience are working in the United States on God knows what type of visa , unnoticed ?!?

Uh-Oh....here comes the Sherriff !

[This message has been edited by kalik (edited 08 May 2000).]

inyoni
9th May 2000, 02:43
juswonnafly
You need to look at the threads already posted on this subject in the last couple of months on the Instructor column to realise what you are considering is highly illegal and very career limiting. Basically to work for reward in the US with a validated PPL is a felony and could easily earn you a stretch in the Pen! (there's other parts of you that will get stretched in the Pen too - the US penal system is not a joke).
Don't listen to what prospective employers tell you - they won't be the one's commiting the felony. I just saw a programme here last night about the '3 strikes and you are out' ruling here and it is amazing to see what some people have been sentenced to 25 years for under this rule - like not paying for a slice of Pizza and shoplifting a pair of Jeans!!.
Don't risk it - either get the FAA tickets and work permits or don't even pay for the airfare to the US. Remember that in a couple of years you may want to apply for a good airline job - how do you think a criminal conviction would look on your CV.
But, then again you will probably take a chance and do it for the hours anyway.
Hope you don't have a cute *ss if you do get caught!

[This message has been edited by inyoni (edited 08 May 2000).]

'I' in the sky
9th May 2000, 04:16
Juswannafly.
Unfortunately I just love getting my teeth into this subject because it cost people that I worked with licence suspensions.The worst part is they were lied to by the British owners of a school which holds CAA approvals in Florida.
The facts are :
Regardless of the nationality of the end qualification, you need an FAA commercial certificate to fly an N-reg plane for hire or reward in US airspace.
Only an FAA qualified instructor may give a student pilot pre-solo instruction in an N-reg aircraft in US airspace.

Mr Fisher of International Flight Training may tell you otherwise but in the end it's not his licence which is on the line.

I know of at least one other 'ppruner' who will verify this.

juswonnafly
9th May 2000, 09:18
Thank you for your answers chaps

I do hold a UK CPL/IR as it happens but all the same, looks like a No No then.

Ah well, back to grim weather and a few more peanuts i s'pose.....

JWF