PDA

View Full Version : En route ETAs using GPS

Pilot16
19th Aug 2004, 12:04
Anyone know how a 196 can be used to find specific ETAs along track? Say for example, an airfield you will be flying over, how can you find the ETA over the airfield using the 196?

Im playing with the unit, tho I cant find the feature. Pointing the cursor over it shows only the distance and bearing info.

Anyone know how?

Thanks.

S-Works
19th Aug 2004, 12:07
hit the nearest button and search through the available sections. as long as the places you are reporting on are in the database you will get the distance bearing. You then need to to use your brain to divide the distance against your ground speed and that will give you an ETE you can convert that to current time and and get an ETA.

Or do do it the easy way, add it as a waypoint!

Pilot16
19th Aug 2004, 12:15
Thanks very much bose-x.

I do know the way around this. I just wanted to know if the 196 can do it, amongst its hundreds of invaluable functions.

The waypoint method sounds like a good idea too.

drauk
19th Aug 2004, 14:15
You can do it with a little button pushing and no mental arithmetic.

Assuming you're currently flying on a planned route, hit NRST (as suggested by Bose-X) to see a list of nearby airfields/nav aids/intersections. Scroll down to the one you want and hit the Direct button. Press Enter to GOTO this point.

You'll now be back at the map page. If you've got the data fields on and one of them is ETE you'll see how long it will take to get to that point. If not hit the Page button until you get to the page full of data fields and it'll be on there.

Now the important bit, to get back to your regular route, hit Direct again, then cursor left to Resume Route and hit Enter. You're now back on your original route.

bar shaker
19th Aug 2004, 15:49
If you have the waypoint programmed into your route, its very easy.

Press PAGE/QUIT until you Route waypoint list appears and then scroll left or right until the right hand column shows ETA.

:cool:

Pilot16
19th Aug 2004, 18:59
Thanks drauk,

Thats just the way to do it ;)