PDA

View Full Version : Jersey Airport - nearby B&Bs

easyflyer
19th Aug 2004, 10:22
Gang,

Anyone know of a nice pilot friendly B&B nr Jersey Airport with availability for this weekend!! Also near to the local drinking establishments for evening relief would be ideal!

Thanks for any help!

ef

MikeJeff
19th Aug 2004, 11:33
Don't go anywhere near the hotel normadie - makes fawlty towers look like the hilton mayfair.

The merton hotel i can recommmend, but it aint cheap. Unsure of tel numbers and URL tho'

sharpshot
19th Aug 2004, 12:00
Try a PM to "Flying Boat"

Flying Boat
19th Aug 2004, 23:00
If you want to have life go to St Helier, lots of restaurants, pubs & bars. About 8 mile away. I prefer Randalls Pubs rather than Mary Ann because you get more beer varieties like on 'the mainland'. Mary Ann houses are the Ann Street, local brewery establishments.

The new development on the marina has a few bars, including Chicagos. In town just up from the bus station is a nice pub, called Chambers, reportedly Europes longest continuous bar.
2 good restaurants are, Bistro Central and La Cappanina (frequented by the author Jack Higgins).

If you want a queiter night but still with good food & drink, and nearer to the airport, try St Aubins.
It is smaller, has its own harbour, with ducks, and less people. The two main pubs are the Tenby Bars, a Randalls Pub and the bar of the Old Court House Inn, just behind there is their bistro a 1 Michelin Rozette eatery or upstairs their very good restaurant. (This was 'Lill's Place', I think they called it the Old Barge, before the night club in Bergerac). The places to eat are, The Old Court House Inn, Salty Dog, Harbour View, Bon Viveur, La Barca, Blue Fish 2 or Ker Francois.

I have looked at the Jersey Tourism site & there are 11 Guest Houses Available for Friday & Sat, as well as 18 Guest Houses available for Saturday only.

I have stayed at the Bryn Y Mor:nice, the Harbour View:nice, friends stayed at the Peterborough House, said it was nice but no smoking, and also the Bon Viveur, OK (but 2 ex RAF engineers, so I expect it was better than OK).

I have also stayed in the Merton in St Helier, they have a few deals at the moment, it is very good for a 3* hotel, but the other side of St Helier from the airport.

If you travel to St Aubins expect to pay about £6-7 taxi fare each way, St Hellier could be £12-15, depending on the hotel's location in relation to the 1way system 'in town'.

When you arrive in Jersey, if under 3 tonnes, you will park at the aeroclub, they will help arrange a hire car or taxi, and if you have not prebooked accom they have an availability list faxed through to them every day.

The accommodation search engine accessing about 80% of the islands properties is: http://www.jersey.com/Booking/JerseyDirect.ASP

The general info site for Jersey is: http://www.jersey.com/index.asp?bhcp=1

The Aeroclub Site is: www.jerseyaeroclub.com (http://www.jerseyaeroclub.com)

Finally if you are going near France do a search for Charlie Fox's info about changed & prohibited French Airspace, not marked on most maps.

Have fun, PM me for more info if you want and let us know how you get on.

FB:ok:

AppleMacster
20th Aug 2004, 10:10
I've been working here for four weeks and have been trying to do some flying (although the weather has been interfering with my plans somwehat).

The cheapest way to get from the Aeroclub is to walk to the terminal building (2-3 minutes) and get a bus: £1.60 to St. Helier (about a half hour). I've taken a cab a few times to the airport and the variation in price is extraordinary: £8.60 from St. Helier at 1000 on a weekday, £14.00 at 0550 on a Sunday morning (about 15 minutes).

The Aeroclub is very friendly with great bacon sarnies in the mornings, though!

easyflyer
20th Aug 2004, 11:02
You gotta love this website!! Thanks for all the info guys, especially FB. Here's hoping for nice weather and cold beer!

ef