PDA

View Full Version : RAF Flying Scholarships

Pin Head
22nd Feb 2000, 22:24
Any good to get the hours up?

Where do I do one?

Got right qualifications (1000hrs, 700instructing)?

Who do I talk to?

Any more info gratefully received?

Dunx
22nd Feb 2000, 23:00
Pin Head,

You can't just go to an airfield and 'do an RAF Flying Scholarship'!!!! You have to undertake and pass a mini RAF selection process at RAFC Cranwell to be placed in the pool for award. Anyway, methinks you are way over qualified. The RAF Flying Scholarship scheme was set up to encourage young men and women (16+) to undertake flying training from AB INITIO level. The 20 hour course would hopefully entice them to apply for the RAF. (Although that's not what the official description says!!!)

It is certainly not an avenue to 'get the hours up'!!!!

Hope this clarifies the situ!! :)

Pin Head
23rd Feb 2000, 01:13
Dunx, I think you have got the wrong end of the stick. I am interested in instructing the cadets for the FS. I have a FATPL already with 700hrs intstructional work!

Oh by the way I incidently got a FS award back in '94, so I know the selection process very well! Have you been to OASC?

What I have heard it is the way to get the hours up for us INSTRUCTORS!

BEagle
23rd Feb 2000, 02:10
Only if you pass selection by a CFS Exam Wing pilot!! They will very soon sniff out someone who isn't suitable and may only be interested in 'hours building' at the tax payer's - and student's - expense. Your GH instruction must be better than average - and you can't just sit there next to Bloggs on long navigation exercises because they don't do many of them.

[This message has been edited by BEagle (edited 22 February 2000).]

Vigilant Driver
23rd Feb 2000, 13:37
Pin Head,

The service isn't interested in people just building hours, they are looking for folks who are devoted to instruction, putting your student first. You don't just go and fly to put hours in your logbook, you go and fly to get the lesson across to your student!

So if you want to hours build go para dropping or tugging (I know Booker are looking for people).

If you want to instruct, put your logbook away and call up some of the FS schools such as Bodmin.

I do hope that you haven't spent your 700 hours instructing just getting Bloggs to fly the aircraft S+L on long cross countries.

Good luck in getting what you want,

Vigi.

StudentInDebt
23rd Feb 2000, 14:47
To instruct Flying scholarship cadets, you'll need 50 hours of instructional experience (changed this year from 100 hours), find a school that teaches FS cadets, have a check with a CFS examiner and bobs your uncle.

Talk to Tayside Aviation about which schools teach FS cadets, they are the prime contractor for the RAF and are responsible for a lot of the policy decisions.

As for the hours - its a great way of getting them up, unlike your normal weekend students these chaps will have aptitude and intelligence and be fairly motivated (as you will of course know). School I'm going to can offer 100 hours per month during the FS season.

[This message has been edited by StudentInDebt (edited 23 February 2000).]

Dunx
23rd Feb 2000, 23:34
Well, your initial post was a bit vague Pin Head!!!!

The RAF will not appreciate "hour building" instructors as BEagle said. As a FS instructor, you will be training a percentage of the future pilots of the RAF, so they want dedication and continuity. A "stepping stone" attitude is not welcomed. On saying that, it is D of R&S (RAF) that write the policy. CFS check your competency in the air. Having been involved with Tayside Aviation since the beginning of my flying career, I know Mr Fraser (Prime contract holder) is of the same opinion.

Just be wary of what you let people know when you are chatting about FS instructing.

BTW, I have been to OASC! That's how I ended up doing this RAF thing!!!!! Good game, good game :)

Capt Homesick
27th Feb 2000, 05:48
PinHead, Nobody expects you to see FS instructing as a career in itself. Even Tayside will be happy if you seem keen to do it for a season or two- as long as they believe that you will give it 100% while you are there. I worked there for three years, had a good time (mostly), learned a lot, and moved on.
Dunx, are you DM, who did an FS in '94?

Airprox
3rd Mar 2000, 23:30
Come on guys

I taught FS for a few years whilst I was hours building. The RAF want a sandard of tution but they don't care whether your hours building or not.

If they want career instructors they need to pay more! a lot more!!

AP

pilotbear
7th Mar 2000, 03:22
Mr F****r (T******e A******n) has only one real objective, cheap labour to teach flying scholarship training. Starting at £5 hr!

The turnover of staff is very high.
But if you want a lot of hours teaching cadets to 20hrs from an uncontrolled field then you can do it there.

Good luck