View Full Version : Instructor Sponsorship

Vanessa Feltz Type Rated
21st Feb 2000, 17:57
I have 400 hours CPL/IR Froz ATPL and want to know if any clubs out there do any sort of sponsorship deals for Instructing? as I've spent all my money on the CPL/IR and have none left !

whogivesa????
26th Feb 2000, 08:23
you are female....use your "other" chequebook!

StudentInDebt
26th Feb 2000, 14:24
You could have a word with CABAIR or Tayside Aviation, both offer instructor sponsorships for PPLs so you maybe able to swing something . Expect to be locked in for at least 2 years though

A Very Civil Pilot
26th Feb 2000, 23:49
If you have much more than 150 hours then the Cabair sponsorship won't be for you. Due to the looming instructor shortage, some clubs are thinking about paying for instructor ratings, but it will probably be for long standing ppl members to help at the weekend. With a CPL/IR, you'll probably want to go as soon as you get a better job offer, so probably won't be welcomed by the clubs. Nevertheless, keep looking.

Pin Head
27th Feb 2000, 00:02
Try the GAPAN in London (see website via yahoo). i got £1500 towards my AFI rating which I am using in anger. Appications are sent out in next month or two. Application form then interview then hopefully the award and an invitiation to a nice dinner at London Guildhall in October.

Capt Homesick
27th Feb 2000, 05:33
As Student-In-Debt said, try Tayside Aviation- they have a need for a large number of instructors, now is a good time, as they will be starting to plan for the summer peak period. Their phone number is 01382 644 577. Alternatively, go to www.tayviation.co.uk (http://www.tayviation.co.uk)
As SID said, expect to be locked in for a year or two- but if you get an airline job, you will be able to persuade a bank to lend you the buyout money. Leave in the autumn, and you could probably negotiate terms to pay over time. RLF has a few contacts within BRAL and BMC, so he MIGHT be able to help you move on- no promises, though, especially if he's short of FIs!
I worked for Tayside (on and off) for almost three years, and can vouch for the standard of their training. Engineering support is good, they make the effort to buy new aeroplanes, and you get to fly in some of the most beautiful countryside, and uncongested airspace, in the UK. In the summer, expect to fly 70-100 hours per month, with annual checks from the Central Flying School, and a decent effort at standardisation. The standardisation is a big help in keeping you professional, which in turn makes you a bit more marketable to future employers.
It's a big help if you can partly self-fund: try a career development loan, I realise you've probably already got one, but it's worth the dosh, and gives you a bit more control.
Email me if I can be of any help- dropping my name probably won't help (or hinder), but it might get me a discount when I try and rent a Katana for a whiz around the Glens!

Vanessa Feltz Type Rated
28th Feb 2000, 16:57
Thanks for the suggestions guys, I'll certainly give Tayside a call.