PDA

View Full Version : INSTRUCTORS WHO END AIRLINE CAREERS

DreamMachine
6th May 2000, 11:02
I'm currently working on an article about Airline Instructors. The theme is the 2 types of instructors that exist - those that possess genuine facilitation skills, offer a learning environment and generally get great results with their students. Then there are those that scream, shout, know it all, have no patience, and regularly change the course of pilots careers. And its not about "cutting the mustard".

Most qualified pilots who have built up a significant amount of safe flying hours should be able to pass a conversion or sim check. But there are those who have fallen victim to these Instructors who enjoy the power base and are not there to develop anyone.

My question is, should anyone be an Instructor, or should Instructors have to possess some form of skill that enables them to teach, develop and train.

Any input appreciated.

CHICKENTRAINER
6th May 2000, 12:09
DreamMachine,

There are unfortunately not enough of the former and too many of the latter.

To answer your question, IMHO, a good instructor should posses the intrinsic ability, and more importantly desire, to pass on knowledge and skill to his or her charges.

In my experience, Check Captains have always had the dual roll of Training Captains. One does not make the other. I have been on the receiving end of a C&T Captain who was a much better checker than he was a trainer. As a trainer he would yell, shout, rant and rave. I suspect this was more because he wasn't comfortable in the role as out of work he's a really nice guy.

At the other end of the spectrum are the check pilots who want to be liked, or avoid the paper work and continually pass poor performing pilots as it's easier for them than making the hard decision.

I have a copy of an interesting article of some time ago, Flt Intl I think, I'll scan and post, or I can e-mail it if you'd like.

------------------
ChickenTrainer