PDA

View Full Version : Letter in Pilot Mag. (Spare free seat)

wingandaprayer
18th Aug 2004, 14:29
Below is a letter from this months Pilot Magazine :-

There are masses of boys of thirteen who dream of becoming a pilot. They think there's nothing to it, just pulling a lever up and down and pushing in the throttle! This really aggravates me because I'm thirteen, however I understand all the concepts of flying a light aircraft. I understand all about VOR navigation, I know how to intercept courses TO and FROM the VOR radials, I also know how to tune the COM frequencies for air traffic control and also understand aerospace definitions. Furthermore, I understand about the physics of an aircraft and human limitations as well as straight-and-level flight, steep turns, take-off, cruise, approach and landing. I know that air traffic control sometimes asks a pilot to park the aircraft in the sky-or put it in a 'hold' which is done simply by tuning your Nav 1 radio to the VOR in the airport vicinity and track a course for precisely one minute, then fly 180° opposite to the course you just flew and keep repeating this pattern!
I have learnt this all and more from Microsoft Flight Simulator 2004. The reason I have written this, is because I would adore the chance to go flying with a private pilot or instrument pilot. It's far too expensive to have flying lessons yet, however I would really love the chance to relate all the knowledge to a real plane and pilot.

Adrian

Adrian and his father spent some time on our stand at Fly! The London Airshow. He's never been in an aeroplane, despite knowing so much about them, and really deserves a trial flight. (Elstree is his nearest airfield, but he's prepared to travel.) If you want to offer him one, e-mail [email protected] His father has given his approval.-Nick Bloom.

I have mailed him, but perhaps someone can offer better than a club 152 and is at or closer to Elstree.

WaaP

bcfc
18th Aug 2004, 15:27
Makes you wonder how many other children, keen as this young chap, are out there longing for a flight. I take up my kids and those of friends and neighbours and it always thrills me when they enjoy themselves.

I for one would be happy to take someone like this up. I often have a seat to spare.

Maybe one of the mags could organise this through their publications and their website.

dublinpilot
18th Aug 2004, 15:42
Maybe we should start a thread here specifically for this, and when people are going on a flight, and know in advance that they have a spare seat, they could put the details onto that thread.

It could help people like that guy get to see what it's like to fly, and also help people with less experience to learn from their peers or to share workloads with someone of similar experience.

Having said that I recently posted about a free seat I had, and noone seemed interested.....I guess everyone has heard about my landings :}

dp

Windy Militant
18th Aug 2004, 15:57
I'm begining to sound like a broken record, but two words Young Eagles (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=130313&highlight=young+eagles)
Go on give it go chaps

wet wet wet
18th Aug 2004, 16:17
Good idea, but it might be worth remembering that there are certain legal implications with being alone in an aeroplane with a child who you do not know, Child Protection Act and all that. Also, what would you do if the child started pulling on the mixture control, for example? Might be an idea to take a parent/guardian in the back.

Maxflyer
18th Aug 2004, 16:20
Read Monocock's post in this thread. It may cause you to think twice.

Child Passengers (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=124154&highlight=passengers)

Monocock
18th Aug 2004, 16:37
Yeah and I've just found out I've got to take him flying again soon.....:ugh:

Now where did I put that lump hammer....:E

BeauMan
18th Aug 2004, 17:28
Sheesh Monocock!! Sounds like the little monster needs, erm, sedating before he goes up again!! :ouch:

Since passing my Skills Test a few months back I've flown two people - my new girlfriend and a close mate - and have since made it an unwritten rule that I will never fly with an empty front seat again, unless of course I let the ninety day rule lapse... :rolleyes:

Problem is, I fly a club aeroplane, and they aren't really all that keen about kids flying in their aeroplanes. Which is why I haven't flown my seven-year-old son yet (much as I'd dearly love to). They'll allow kids in the back (it's a PA28) where they can't create havoc, but only accompanied by an adult sitting besides them.

So even if BeauBird goes in the back with BeauSon (who she still has yet to meet), I still have to find a willing victim, ahem, volunteer, to come and sit up at the whirly end with me and promise not to fiddle with anything. Blimey, what a pallaver! :rolleyes:

wingandaprayer
18th Aug 2004, 18:58
wet wet wet

I know where you're coming from, but can't see how the Protection of Children act (or any other) applies in this case.
No different to Monocock taking up a clients kid (Hopefuly without the nightmare :ooh: )

Sounds like a sensible kid, so hopefuly there wouldn't be a problem.

Vetting on both sides before deciding it's going to happen sounds like a good idea though.

dublinpilot
18th Aug 2004, 21:27
Well kids aside, I still think we should start such a thread. We have so much we could learn from flying with one another, and so many other adults that might decide to fly after getting a taste.

After all, the more the fly, the better the facilities we will have :)

dp

Andy_R
18th Aug 2004, 21:41
Beau Man

Find yourself another club then. The best feeling in the world was seeing the look on my 7 year old's face when we flew. And he was my very first passenger. Given him the bug now though :cool:

Oh yeah, it was in a PA38 so none of this sitting in the back. Word of advice though, if you do go up in a PA28 then take a booster seat or he won't gain much benefit from the trip as kids seem to struggle to see out from the rear seats.

Go for it and introduce your son to the joy of flight...

niknak
18th Aug 2004, 23:32
.......... and pray that he isn't a precocious little bugger who thinks he knows everything there is to know just cos he's seen it on a computer flight simulator.........:p

REvans
19th Aug 2004, 01:19
I would jump at the chance of filling a spare seat should the opportunity arise. Im 15 so not exactly a little brat! Im starting to fly myself next year and eventually gain my PPL but I would love to learn a bit more before undertaking it. I am based around the West Midlands area and would be prepared to travel should any of you generous people out there be willing to offer me a seat, just drop me a line either by PM or email.

Monocock,
As funny as it sounds, I could see it been pretty scarey especially with it not been your kid. Declaring a mayday saying you had been hijacked by a 9 year old made me laugh :E

Cheers :ok:

sharpshot
19th Aug 2004, 08:09
My father took me up when I was 11 months old. Since gaining my licence, I have taken pax up ranging from the age of two to 80+. I used to hate going with empty seats - such a waste. I am now in a six seater, however, usually have to keep two seats empty so as not to exceed MTOW.

At the end of the month, I am taking a friend's child (he has been in the front seat before and absolutely no problem), along with some of his mates as a birthday treat. I must confess, I have been wondering if it would be advisable to have an adult in the back - just in case?

I think it would be good to keep some kind of register on here for anyone wanting to fill a spare seat from time to time.

18greens
19th Aug 2004, 08:55
I had a friend ask me to take his kid up. 10 year old, mad keen FSer. I thought that would be OK with his dad in the back.

When they arrived the 10 year old wanted to sit in the front and his 10 year old friend in the back (with no other adult on board). I think I had read Monococks story the day before, so I was a bit nervous. Rather than say no I sat down with him and had a chat about what he enjoyed doing. He seemed pretty stable so I went and he was incredibly good at flying, did everything he was told and his friend in the back was excellent.

Their enthusiasm made it all worth while and I'd gladly take him up again.

Going into the air can make anyone irrational and who would you rather fight for the controls, a 240lb gorrilla or a 10 year old boy?

S-Works
19th Aug 2004, 09:56
I did a load of flights last year for the kids at Winwick Hall a special school for kids with both mental and physical disabalities. I di about 20 flights during the day and did not have any problems despite being warned that a couple of them were unpredictable.

Very rewarding to see the look of enjoyment on there faces.

I am on a mission to introduce as many people as possible old and young to flying but still have empty seats. Always available for anyone interested.

I fly a whole range from 152 to twins and generally speaking the aircraft and passengers survive. Anyone who wants to fly PM me!

Another St Ivian
19th Aug 2004, 11:06
Has anyone suggested the Air Training Corps to these younger lads that want to get a foot into the aviation world?

I found myself in a similar situation when I was younger. After flying in a family friends Pegasus Quantum off of his farm I knew I wanted to fly, a little research showed that a great start on this plan would be to join the Air Training Corps.
So I did just that, joined at 13, got some sporadic flying in, then shortly after my 16th birthday I got my first solo, did a large amount of flying elsewhere and now at 18 have my PPL. Admittedly this may not be the case for all, but if you have the drive and determination it's out there for you.
In addition the ATC has taught me a wealth of other things, and generally has been a 'good thing' in life.

ASI

Andy_R
20th Aug 2004, 08:33
generally speaking the aircraft and passengers survive.

And how often don't they survive???? :p :p :p

Flypuppette
20th Aug 2004, 08:34
My gran takes her Girl Guides to the Cumbernauld Young Eagles flights (http://www.zen8546.zen.co.uk/page4.html) everytime there is a chance.

My daddy and his friend 10W took me to Mull to see Balamory, but it was never going to be a success with a pilot and an air traffic controller sitting in the same aeroplane. I still didnt see Josie Jump or PC Plum - the wasters.

I didnt think it was very funny when they used me as a wing prop and buggered off for lunch!

http://www.jetblasters.com/albums/album26/mull22.jpg

http://www.jetblasters.com/albums/album26/mull15.jpg

S-Works
20th Aug 2004, 09:22
cloud 69, I am always proud of my landings, it is my maintanance company that ask if I was shot down..... :D

map5623
21st Aug 2004, 19:30
Mono, If I were you I would tell the kid to get lost and insist in taking his Dad and with his agreement show him what his son did. If he thinks it was great you may be better with other clients. If the stupidity of the action sinks in perhaps you may be spared the flight, good luck
Mike

Confabulous
21st Aug 2004, 21:59
Wish I got a ride when I was a kid! That said, I didn't even know planes existed back then.

I'd love to fly with someone in/around Dublin, and for any takers, I'll pay half your fuel and landing fee costs! As long as you're not flying a Citation or King Air that is :ok:

Now who can say better then that? :D

Con

BEagle
22nd Aug 2004, 07:52
Back in the days of yore, AEF Chippies used to have a hand microphone for the space cadet in the boot. When I asked why I was told by one old timer "It keeps one of the little bug ger's hands occupied!". I gather there'd been the odd 'I wonder what this does' moment with magneto switches.... Then there was the pompous little $od from Eton who, after about 5 minutes in the air, announced "I've seen enough now, pilot, you can take me back!". "Bolleaux - you haven't seen my aeros yet!" was the response!

We won't take children below a certain age on trial flights in a PA28. Main reason being that below a certain age they can't see out properly; even if they can they can't reach the rudders, so it would be hard to prove that it wasn't just a joy-ride (illegal public transport flight)!

As for the child protection act - well, that's the reason for the RHS door on the PA28. If they misbehave, slow down, undo the door, unstrap the brat and boot it out - thus protecting yourself from the child! Well, that's what you can threaten them with!

dublinpilot
23rd Aug 2004, 08:49
Con,

If you pm me your contact details, I'll give you a shout next time I've a free seat. It might be a while though, as I'm going on holidays in Sept, and I've a few friends promised to bring flying before then.

dp

Monocock
23rd Aug 2004, 09:25
I have taken loads of youngsters (under 10's) flying over the past few years and it always amazes me what they actually enjoy about it.

They always ask "How high are we".

They get bored if you travel in a straight line for more than 10 minutes.

They love the take-off and landings.

They innocently think that everyone down below can see that it is them up there in the sky!

They look petrified when the power is pulled back for the final approach as if the a/c is about to fall out of the sky.

They never really show their true appreciation for the flight as they are often very shy. The parents normally call two days later to say that little Jonny hasn't stopped talking about it since he went!!

I remember the first time I went up. I was about 13 and my father was having a lesson. It was in the back of an AA5 and it all looked so complicated.

Anyone who is 13 and can has taught him/herself to track VOR's properly should in my opinion be given a full scholarship and be protecting our skies in a fast jet by the time they are 20.

Dedication like that is not that common.

drauk
23rd Aug 2004, 09:58
I emailed the address given last week, offering a free flight for up to 3 people, at a time of their choosing, from their closest airfield. I've heard nothing in response. Maybe they've seen me fly.

Reminds me a bit of when a friend asks if his/her friend/cousin/whatever can have a job or some help with a commercial project and then they don't bother showing up or calling.

BRL
23rd Aug 2004, 16:02
So now we need suggestions for actually doing something like this. Let's say I made a thread a sticky, called something like "Spare seat available from..........." and you filled the rest in with a time and date plus a contact number/e-mail or something. Or is there an easier way? What do you think, let's hear your suggestions please......
:)

knobbygb
23rd Aug 2004, 17:34
Sounds good to me. You wouldn't believe the trouble I have finding victims - everyone I ask is always a bit non-commital and will probably come along 'someday' (although we're talking mainly adults there). God, anyone'd think I was offering to take them fishing or bus-spotting or somthing!

I'd be the first to offer free flights. Friday is my usual day off, I fly from Sherburn and would be really glad of a pax or two - I'm a bit skint at the moment and, to be honest, find it hard to justify the cost of flying alone, but to see that smile as we take off would make it worthwhile.

jayemm
23rd Aug 2004, 19:40
This thread has made me do what I've meant to do for ages. I've contacted the nearest strut that runs an active Young Eagles group and have arranged to attend their next meet.

However, I'm interested to see how the strut attracts young people who are interested in flying.

Having a sticky in this forum would not hook those kids who are interested and who don't know about pprune. I put "flying", "young pilots" and "Pilots" into Google (UK) and pprune didn't appear on the first 3 pages of any of the results. Interestingly, the PFA (where the Struts and Young Eagles are advertised) came up every time.

Maybe a separate and simple web-site is needed that youngsters would pick up on a web-search, where they can register their interest.

Or am I being naive?

dublinpilot
24th Aug 2004, 08:12
The sticky thread doesn't have to be just for youngsters.

Just for anyone that wasnts to come along. In fact, some may not want to take youngsters in case it turns out like monococks experience, but be happy to take adults. Some may want their spare seat to be taken by another pilot so that they can learn from them, or perhaps impart a bit of their own knowledge to them.

I'd suggest a sticky, and people post on it, when/where the seat is available, who it's open to, and if there is any cost sharing requested. That's enough for everyone to get on with.

dp

Paracab
25th Aug 2004, 00:32
dp,

Inspiring post. I'm an early (in the training) PPL student who can't afford to carry on at this time but would love any oppurtunity to go and fly again, to try and stay 'in the loop.'

I can offer some fundage (legalities permitting) towards the hire of the aircraft, a pair of Mk 1 eyeballs for look out purposes and you own body weight in beer post flight.

I live in South Essex, please take me, lonely hearts failed me.

knobbygb
27th Aug 2004, 09:34
OK - short notice, but I'm flying alone in a 2 seater from 4pm to 6pm, out of Sherburn (near Selby, Yorkshire), today (Friday 27th). Be a shame to waste that other seat. Anyone who's interested PM me before about 2pm

dublinpilot
27th Aug 2004, 13:05
Well done, Knobbygb. I hope you got to make someone's day!

BRL, I've started a thread as discussed above. How about making that one sticky for a bit, and see if it works?

Thanks
dp