PDA

View Full Version : AI RTOLW charts / Perf. penalties

MaxBlow
18th Aug 2004, 11:44
Hi all,

I am a bit confused and would like to ask you for your opinion on the following:

T/O perf. determination using AI RTOLW charts

Problem: GND SPLR CNTRL SYS deactivated

The MEL (o) procedure gives some examples of how to use the charts

B.) How to proceed when the actual TOW is equal to the corrected MTOW (adapted to failed conditions)

C.) How to proceed when the actual TOW is less than the MTOW

The manual also says 'RTOLW charts are not limited by structual weight'

My questions:

What if the aTOW = Max.structual limit weight?

Where should the weight decrement be applied?

Applying the decrements on the perfomance weight gave us a still higher weight than the max. structual weight. What's the sense of a performance penalty if we still can t/o with max. weight?

ISA+10 / 1013 / 3000m / acft is an rather old B2

I am confused and the office is waiting for the report explaining the fuel stop.

Read the manual again and again but still didn't get the point.

English is not my native language and the manual was printed in France !

Any usefull thoughts except that I should attend a performance course again ?

:confused:

Old Smokey
18th Aug 2004, 13:20
MaxBlow

The reason why 'RTOLW charts are not limited by structual weight is for cases such as yours, where a performance decrement has to be applied. Even with your deficiency, the aircraft was still capable, from the performance stand-point, of takeoff in excess of the Structural Limit. It's a right pain in the butt when manufacturers cut off performance data at the Structural Limit because performance decrements then have to be applied to this limit.

Whilst it may seem a futile exercise to you in THIS case, I'm sure that if you scan through your RTOLWs that you'll find plenty of shorter runways etc. where a performance decrement would have lead to a RTOLW lower than Structural Limit.

Do the performance calculation with applicable adjustments, compare the result with the Structural Limit, and observe the lower.

mutt
18th Aug 2004, 16:29
MaxBlow,

You really cant blame AI for this, its a procedure that we follow for all our fleet aircraft, Airbus, Boeing and Douglas. Our intention is to comply with the MEL/CDL with the least impact on the economic operation of the aircraft, therefore we use weights greater than the structural weight.

Sorry mate, but i think that you will have to fall on your sword :(

Mutt.

MaxBlow
19th Aug 2004, 11:23
Thanks!

Calculated again and either way we wouldn't have been able to go all the way (uuhh). So getting the RCFPLN and stop for fuel was according to the manual.

Still think that manual could be a bit more straight foreward.

Learned a lesson again - merci

:ouch: