PDA

View Full Version : FAA Licences

Chock Ice
2nd May 2000, 00:09
Could anyone who has ever flown in the US please give me a run down on how to obtain the required licences to instruct commercially. Could you tell me how I would obtain a CFI (?) and a CPL IR. I already have a UK Frozen ATPL and FI rating. Can I get hold of books over here for the groundschool? Am I in for a shock with regards to ploughing through all the Nav and Tech type subjects again?!

Many thanks in eager anticipation....

jetjackel
2nd May 2000, 01:09
Chock Ice,

My info is dated as I received my CFI &CFII many years ago. I would suggest you contact, through the web, Flight Safety in Miami. They can provide you with the qualifications that you will have to meet. I don't believe you can obtain any FAA instructor ratings without FAA CPL and IFR ratings. Additionally you will need a M-E rating on those tickets to be a M-E instructor. Actually any flight school,from the u.s., that appears on the web can give you the info. All FAA exams, that I know of, have study guides that provide the answers. Its a matter of studying the questions and answers and then recalling them on the exam. The big "deal" is the required check rides. Thats where the FAA differs from the CAA. Its the proctical that is difficult to get through. If you already hold a CAA CFI then it should be no problem, as the theory is pretty much the same and exercising it should cover the oral part of the FAA flight check.

Good Luck.

HungryPilot
2nd May 2000, 02:52
Go for it Chock. After surviving the CAA system, the FAA will be a breath of fresh air to you. And if you have the right to live and work there, I wouldn't come back to Europe if I were you.

I recently spent 2 years in the US as CFI and air taxi driver. Just finished converting to CAA ATPL.

You will find the writtens a piece of p*ss. Don't worry about nav or tech, not even an issue over there.

Prepare yourself for a far more practical system, ie. not much emphasis on the theory, but the prac is very demanding and an excellent learning experience.

Good luck.

------------------
It's all fun and games 'til someone gets poked in the eye.

RRAAMJET
2nd May 2000, 03:25
Hey,
take it from this former RAF pilot now flying for one of the "Big 3" airlines over here: compared to the CAA you'll have no worries.Even the oral is no biggie, whether it be for a C-310 or B-757. They are very practical minded and respectful of foreigners. I suggest you buy a copy of "FLYING" and e-mail some of the schools...
Remember, they dance to your dollar tune and your timeline. Good luck!

------------------
rraamjet

DownIn3Green
2nd May 2000, 03:36
Chocks,

Try the gleim website. http://www.gleim.com.

I think you can actually sign up for the course and take the test thru the website, at least that's how I renewed my CFI last time.

I believe you can convert your license as it is to an FAA CPL, but until you take the CPL written, (see above para) you can't work for hire.

To get a visa to work, check out some of the schools (ie-back pages of Flying). If you sign up for their courses, usually they can get you an M-2 or whatever type visa that will let you work for 2 yrs. (total time in the US is 2 yrs.) This is based on the theory that you will stay long enough to get your ATP.

The school you get your CFI at will usually let you stay on and teach, tow banners, ferry a/c, sightseeing flts, etc. The CFI pay in the states suc*s, but it beats starving in Europe. At least you'll build a lot of hours.

Good Luck.

ITFC1
6th May 2000, 00:51
Yeah try American Aviation services at Gloucester on 01452 857757 they can give you all the info you need

inyoni
8th May 2000, 01:52
Chock Ice
I did my FAA ratings last year and this is what you will need:
A)You will get a Class 1 or 2 FAA Medical (if you have a CAA/JAA Class One you should be alright to pass the FAA medical)
B)Make absolutely sure all of the pre-qualifying CPL requirements have been signed off by your UK Instructor/s in your log book. Otherwise you will have to make an attestation that the entries are true and have it signed by a Notary Public in the US (this is like an affidavit) However, some Part 141 Schools will make you re-do some of your PPL flying over again, despite this (this can become expensive)
C) You will need an IR to get a CFI rating and unless you have one with the above signatures you could end up doing a 40 hours IR course. Again watch out for the signatures by Instructors on all the training you received
D) You will need to pass the following writtens: Commercial Pilot, Instrument Pilot, Fundamentals of Instructing, Flight Instructor Airplane and Flight Instructor Instrument. (relax they are easy - I did all mine in 8 days)
E) Get the books on the Orals for each of the 4 flight tests. Know these intimately as well as quite a lot on all the license priveledges and validities, airspace etc. Get a copy of the FAR AIMS and know the applicable parts intimately.
F) Try and get an examiner that other students recommend, some can be absolute B's, but most are fair and very relaxed.
Most of the rest of the comments on the other postings are pretty accurate and Gloucester may be a good place to start.
Be careful about where you go to do it, some schools are good, go where the locals train and as a guide treat with circumspection schools who cater almost exclusively for the foreign client.
Some schools like PAN AM (Vero Beach & Phoenix ) and West Michigan Univ (Battle Creek)do JAA Modular courses and could be intersted in you if you have a CAA Instructors ticket.
A word of caution - do not under any circumstances try to Instruct here with a PPL validation doing training for a JAA license, remember with a FAA PPL you are not allowed to work for reward!! Don't listen to what anyone may tell you to the contrary, if you get busted by the FEDS you have a good chance of ending up in the Pen!!
Good luck

[This message has been edited by inyoni (edited 07 May 2000).]

'I' in the sky
9th May 2000, 04:33
Unlikely you will end up in the Pen for instructing on your FAA PPL but you will certainly get it suspended. Also you are inviting the appropriate people to look at your visa status. Some schools do it all by the book, some are just straight bent.Unfortunately no middle ground and being CAA/JAA approved means nothing.

Regarding FAA licences, I heard Soloflight at Humberside just got approval for FAA written tests.