PDA

View Full Version : Minimizing security/terrorist threats

kopter
16th Aug 2004, 11:15
I certainly don’t want to give anyone the heads up on soft targets, but as a pilot I would be interested to hear what measures pilots around the World take when flying unknown passengers. I’m specifically talking about possible security threats around a scenic flight operation. As an example, not allowing passengers to take hand luggage with them… Only cameras / wallet / purse etc.

I understand that in the US, photo i.d is required prior to boarding; however it’s hardly a deterrent…

The reason I ask is purely for ideas on improving security and to minimize exposure to an incident that could be prevented by the sharing of ideas by us all.

I suggest that in answering this post you are not location specific.

alouette
16th Aug 2004, 11:22
Refer to my post in the NBC hi-jack thread.
Another question: What if the camera is rigged with an explosive? How would you be able to detect the device?:(

SASless
16th Aug 2004, 13:55
It starts with knowing your passengers, the company they work for, the totality of the situation....plain ol' good commonsense. No security system is undefeatable....one can only make it harder to succeed in an attack or breach.

Now given a choice of a 757-767 sized aircraft...or a Jetranger...now which one do you think I will go after? If I am deterred from the large aircraft...then there are cargo aircraft...then Business Jets of some size...then...well somewhere down there are the small helicopters....still a target but not as lucrative unless you have a very small but powerful device to deliver.

Do any of you know what a backpack nuke or suitcase nuke looks like?

What does a container of Sarin look like?

kopter
16th Aug 2004, 14:10
SASless
RE: It starts with knowing your passengers, the company they work for...

With respect, I was referring more towards pax that call and then arrive for a scenic tour...

RE: still a target but not as lucrative unless you have a very small but powerful device to deliver.

Or terrorists! - What are the suggestions for detecting small weapons, like handguns etc.

OFBSLF
16th Aug 2004, 15:39
What are the suggestions for detecting small weapons, like handguns etc.The only ways you will detect a handgun are 1) magnetometer or 2) a very intrusive body search. There are many, many ways to conceal a handgun on your person -- a quick, genteel pat-down is not going to find it.