PDA

View Full Version : Placards

Aim Far
17th Aug 2004, 11:41
This might seem a strange question but...

Does anyone know the legal status of a restriction which is placarded in the cockpit (and there is a requirement in the POH for the placard to be there) but is not a restriction contained in the POH? Is there any requirement to comply with a placard? Assuming the placard came from a modification, can a modification impose a restriction itself or does the restriction have to be documented in the POH to be valid?

Before anyone points it out, I realise of course that there are safety issues in ignoring a placard which is no doubt there for a good reason. I am just interested in the strict legal position.

Hireandhire
18th Aug 2004, 10:03
Not to detract from a serious question but.........

My elderly aeroplane is placarded "All aeroplanes bite fools" and I'm having enough trouble complying with that one without trying to read the POH as well.

regards
HnH

Chilli Monster
18th Aug 2004, 10:41
Placards can be there to give an operating restriction before an AD is complied with (Citations have a placard stating "500lb fuel minima per side" which will be removed when a mod to the fuel pumps is carried out).

They are mandatory in this sort of case.

Another one which most will have seen is "GPS eqpt VFR use only" or "Radio eqpt Class 3 iaw AWN84". The same goes there.

No addition to the POH is required in either of these cases, yet they are there in accordance with legislation. The POH only details the basic level of placarding required when the aircraft is delivered.