PDA

View Full Version : Flash Flood in the UK

Spaced
17th Aug 2004, 08:10
I was watching the news, in particular the flooding in the South West? of the UK. News reports stated 6 helos winching victims from roof tops, with some pretty impressive footage of a yellow Sea King.

A question for the SAR boys in the larger ships, In that sort of situation where you have multiple casualties, and have to hover OGE winching without anywhere reasonable to put down, after each lift do you drop off those resuced, then go back out? Or do you make a few pick ups, then drop off?

SiClick
17th Aug 2004, 09:57
It depends on whether or not the people you leave in the water are at risk. Clearly if there is a chance they wont be there when you get back you don't leave them.
By increasing the winching height the aircraft can probably fly away from most situations anyway.:O

17th Aug 2004, 12:23
Spaced - we rescued the first casualty from the scene who was suffering chest pains and we recovered him to the hill-top LS where the air ambulance crew looked after him. The subsequent casualties were uninjured and could be taken in groups of up to 19 to the LS.
The winching height needed to be quite low to give the precision required to manoeuvre the winchman between power lines and telephone wires and in through windows and doors - so we were always committed to land/crash in the event of an engine failure - sometimes that's just the way it is.

DBChopper
17th Aug 2004, 15:32
Crab,

This is probably just a prime example of "statin' the bleedin' obvious" but, nonetheless, well done on a fantastic job! It was also good to see that the media recognised the incredible work you and your colleagues did yesterday.

Out of interest, if an engine were to fail in those circumstances, was an immediate "landing" inevitable or was there the opportunity to fly away from it?

Whirlybird
17th Aug 2004, 16:55
Never mind if it's obvious; it should be said...WELL DONE TO YOU AND YOUR COLLEAGUES, CRAB. :ok:

17th Aug 2004, 17:23
DB - our second aircraft lifted 50 people in 3 lifts and at most had 19 on board so yes, an engine failure would have been a very bad thing.
Thanks for posters comments, I am just thankful that nobody was trapped in the 50 or so cars that were washed down the river upside down! it was an interesting day's work for all involved.

Lost_luggage34
17th Aug 2004, 17:47
I think that it is exceptional that people here take the time to say Ta.

For some reason we take it all for granted that when we are flooded out, that there is a nice man/woman, up above with a winch etc

These chaps/chapesses risk their lives for this. And it just doesn't happen when it rains a bit. It happens all of the time.

So please have some deserved thanks.

Guern
17th Aug 2004, 19:13
Well done to all involved.

Couldn't believe how you managed to get some of those people out form the pictures.

You all deserve medals.

Brilliant Stuff
17th Aug 2004, 19:26
THANK YOU FOR BEING THERE!!!!
THANK YOU !!!!!!!!!!!!

John Eacott
17th Aug 2004, 20:44
Crab,

Regards to all your crew, BZ.

:ok:

ShyTorque
17th Aug 2004, 21:21
Very well done chaps, from an ex-SARBOY.

Glad to see some excellent press for a change, especially in view of the ever-present threats to downsize / amalgamate / = cut our SAR resources in UK.

Spaced
18th Aug 2004, 02:22
Thaxs crab, well done.
Being an ex ski patroler I was interested in the risk management side of things there. Being a wannabe sar boy I was even more curious.
If you dont mind telling which helo is yours, the yellow ones, or the red and white ones?
Thanx again.

18th Aug 2004, 05:27
Spaced - mine was one of three yellow RAF SAR Sea Kings, 2 from A flight 22 Sqn Chivenor (Mark 3A with FLIR/TV turret) 1 from 203 Sqn RAF St Mawgan. There were 2 Royal Navy Sea Kings (Grey and red) from 771 NAS at Culdrose and 1 Coastguard S-61 (red and white) from Portland. Helimed 01, the Cornwall Air Ambulance (EC 135) arrived first and I believe sorted out the LS and the casualty handling.

Vfrpilotpb
18th Aug 2004, 07:37
As ever the Heli crews and the ground crews of all the rescuing Helis involved at the Boscastle emergency are so very good at their particular jobs, and so retiring when being asked questions that mentions the words Hero's.

From my part, it is a distinct privilage to have watched such professionalism so close to home and under such intense conditions and public gaze, but then to be able to converse with such super pilots and crew on Pprune makes me realise what a lucky chap I and all the rest of us are.

Jolly well done to all of the rescue crews!

Peter R-B
Vfr:ok:

Thomas coupling
18th Aug 2004, 09:21
Crab: not bad for an RAF wallah:ok:
I take it you watched the RN do it first before you attempted such a tricky ordeal..................

[May your >SSE condition be more than <SSE condition.]

Whirlybird
18th Aug 2004, 12:06
From my part, it is a distinct privilage to have watched such professionalism so close to home and under such intense conditions and public gaze, but then to be able to converse with such super pilots and crew on Pprune makes me realise what a lucky chap I and all the rest of us are.

Exactly what I was thinking. I watch these rescues on the news, then crab posts, and I realise these are the same guys I chat to, argue with, tease etc. PPRuNe is great...and thanks again to all of you.

helimatt
18th Aug 2004, 14:56
Just saw the footage on the news tonight. Tidy work, you guys are a credit to the industry. Well done!:cool: :ok:

HandspringGuy
18th Aug 2004, 16:01
A good friend of mine is originally from Cornwall and has family there. He and I would like to thank you for a splendid job......not just in this event but for every day you and the boys lay it on the line for the rest of us.

Keep up the good work,

HG :ok:

heedm
18th Aug 2004, 20:28
Crab and others,

I saw a picture of a rescue here (http://www.cbc.ca/story/world/national/2004/08/17/boscastle040817.html) and noticed that the rescuee is well below the rescuer in the horse collar (that's our name, also called, rescue sling, strop, etc.) When we do a double-up the rescuee's eyes are approximately at the neck to mouth of the rescuer. Any idea why the difference? Advantages to either?

It seems to me that it would be easier to get in with all at the same level, but I rarely go on the hook...busy up front at the time.

Matthew.

BTW, BZ on the rescues!

SilsoeSid
26th Aug 2004, 01:30
I was cycling the Camel Trail with the family as this was all developing.

The CB was huge and amazing to see in action. Overlooking the sun filled harbour of Padstow, I was giving my son the old CB/TS briefing. Although I've never seen a stratus like cover over the top of a CB before. Little were we to know the devastation going on just up the coast.

By the time we returned to the caravan, (static on site, only for the week!!) I thought something was amiss with all the SK activity from St Mawgan to the NE. (how many times did I see the ace of clubs?)

Then we saw it on the TV.

A true show of professionalism, bravery and abilities of both the crews and machines.
There was one bit of footage later, where, over the aircrafts daytime camera footage, someone said,

"If the donk stops we're going in, OK?"

Made my hairs stand up.

Respect. :ok:

DBChopper
26th Aug 2004, 16:18
SiloeSid,

Congratulations to you for your bravery also, for admitting to all that you holidayed in a caravan...

:E

26th Aug 2004, 17:51
Siloesid - I think he meant to say 'Committed'!! Fortunately most of the expletives were edited from the tapes before broadcast - as we surveyed the scene for the first time, my Radop and winchman just said 'Fu**ing Hell' a lot!

HeedM - the position on the picture is standard for our double lift, the winchman is able to control the position of the casualty by wrapping his legs around him if needed and can easily protect the casualty's head as they approach the sill. When they get to the door, the winchman has his feet on the sill facing in to the cabin, with the casualty sitting on the sill facing outwards; from there he can easily be pulled into the cabin by the winch operator, assisted by the winchman.

SilsoeSid
26th Aug 2004, 19:51
It was a big caravan mind you, more of a static home really, but then again it did have wheels. :\

Excellent improvisation with the rucksack in which to winch out the baby. Is that sort of thing (what ifs) discussed in the crewroom at all?

What happened to all the sarnies/pies and flask?

:ok:

26th Aug 2004, 20:31
Sid - a caravan is a caravan no matter how much you dress it up - 'A caravan by any other name would still smell as much' to paraphrase Shaky Bill.

We have been after a means of safely winching children/babies/small animals for many years and now it seems the solution has presented itself - a Berghaus rucksack - mind you the co-pilot (for t'was his) had to rinse it out afterwards!

2Sticks
27th Aug 2004, 16:41
Just to add to what others have said - fantastic job! As a relatively inexperienced R22/R44 rated pilot, I was absolutely in awe of the precision hovering of a yellow Sea King (don't know how you do it, or how much 'kit' there is on board to help, but it's certainly impressive). Equally, knocked over when I learned that the same chaps I read so often on this excellent forum were the ones doing the job.

Hats off to those of you who regularly risk your lives to save others.:ok:

2Sticks

ShyTorque
27th Aug 2004, 18:48
The mere thought of it makes my blood run cold, even now.

Silsoe Sid staying in a caravan, that is. :E

pilotwolf
27th Aug 2004, 20:04
Having only just noticed this thread most things have been said to praise the crews....

But as some one is is not easily impressed I was impressed by the skills shown on TV!! Couldn't do that in a plank!:E :}

Well done to all involved!

PW