PDA

View Full Version : Navair to open base in Coffs Harbour?

apache
6th Dec 1999, 17:16
was in YSCH the other day, and was talking to a local pilot who said that NAVAIR (big school in sydney) were to open a base there for all their international students.
Apparently the local council has built them a hangar, and accommodation will be arranged on the airfield.

Could be a few jobs created there soon!!

Swamp
6th Dec 1999, 18:19
There is an excellent school in Coffs called "Air Crew Check and Training". They were asked at a moments notice in September (I think) to find themselves alternate residence because NAVAIR had plans of moving in.

I don't think the locals are particularly impressed with the fact that the local council is going out of its way to accommodate an outside school when the existing schools in the area have had little support over the years and are now bending over backwards helping NAVAIR establish themselves when they could essentially put some of the excellent long-term, rate paying and loyal operators there out of business.

From what I have been told NAVAIR makes a habit of teasing local councils into believing that they will start up a school and then they pull out at the last moment.

Don't get me wrong Apache. It is great for jobs and the local economy but will won't be a welcome addition for the existing operators who are struggling at the best of times.

Hugh Jarse
7th Dec 1999, 02:46
If Navair move in, the effect on local operators will largely be dependent on where Navair's source of income comes from. If it is an international school, then one would imagine that Navair is bringing it's own business to somewhere that otherwise wouldn't have it.

The flow on of indirect business to the community would be beneficial to all. That's what the Council would be fishing for.

However, if Navair go into competition with the locals for the local market, then that's another story.

Swamp
7th Dec 1999, 06:07
Their reason for moving out to CH is so that they can overcome a Controlled Airport with foreign cadets. Most GAAP operators won't let this happen. I thnk Barney has the right idea - move them out into the middle of the outback as far away from other pilots and civilisation as you can get them!

I don't think NAVAIR will go out of their way to knock back business when it wanders through the door Hugh.

As always though, it's survival of the fittest.

class-e
7th Dec 1999, 06:57
Who knows.....maybe it will send Frank broke again.

It has been done before,and failed!anyone remember CATA? had bases in Cessnock and Walgett?