PDA

View Full Version : Brazil - F-100 fan breaches hull, kills 1 pax; 737-200 gear collapses

broadreach
18th Sep 2001, 03:00
Saturday 15/9:
A TAM F-100 en route Recife-Campinas with 82 pax suffered what appears to be a fan disintegration in the starboard engine during cruise at 20:45. Three windows were broken. A woman sitting closest to the engine was killed by engine fragments and sucked partially out of the aircraft. Her husband held on to her legs until the aircraft made an emergency landing at Belo Horizonte approx 11 minutes after the event. Two other passengers were slightly injured.

Sunday 16/9:
A Varig 737-200 (PP-CNJ), en route Sao Paulo-Manaus via Goiania/Brasilia/Porto Velho/Rio Branco, with 62 pax/6 crew, landed heavily at Goiania at 11:20 during heavy rain. Nose and stbd gear collapsed and stbd engine sheared off. Aircraft skidded for approx 1,200m along runway and came to rest partly on grass. Pax evacuated via chutes, with two minor evacuation injuries. Airport was closed all day Sunday, no news as at posting time (20:20 LT Mon) of reopening.

AeroBoero
18th Sep 2001, 03:18
broadreach;

The RG plane is going to be total loss.So I was told by a friend of mine. The plane is an ex-Cruzeiro.

And on the TAM case , I don't have any news aside that a lot of non-sense being said on TV. (again told to me by a friend in Brazil)

AB