PDA

View Full Version : PPL Training in Essex/North Kent

Redbird72
16th Aug 2004, 13:34
Sorry if this topic is a bit "tired", but I couldn't find what I needed in the archives.

I'm hoping to start my PPL training soon (subject to elimination of credit card balance!) and I am checking out flying schools in Essex and north Kent.

Does anyone have any advice/recommendations/warnings? I live in SW Essex, and am leaning towards using Stapleford Flight Centre at the moment (based on convenience & cost) but I'd like to have a good idea what else is around, and to me personal recommendations are just as important as cost, if not more so!

Thanks,

Red.

Morgo
16th Aug 2004, 15:15
I've just finished a course at Stapleford and I have been extremely happy with the standard of tuition that I received.

I learnt in a PA28 of which SFC had several, however due to popularity they were often quite difficult to get at short notice...usually requiring a booking of at least a week in advance. On the other hand, they have plentiful C152s and from the looks of it instructor availability would have been the only limiting factor.

The only downside of the club is that the prices aren't fantastic, however this is the norm from what I've seen in London FTOs. I was paying £111 an hour in the PA28, but this was fixed when I placed a couple of grand with them each time (but one must be cautious of this route, as its a lot of money to potentially lose!)... I believe the current price is around the £120-£125/hr mark.

Due to the commercial nature of SFC there wasn't a particularly strong 'club' feel to the place. With the preference of hiring planes to students than to PPLs and from the limited number of groups I've found there, I've decided to continue my flying from a different airfield.

All in, I would recommend it strongly as a training organisation and a great place to get your PPL.

Redbird72
25th Aug 2004, 13:10
Thanks for the replies (had one vote for Stapleford, and one for Southend).

Popped down to Willowair and Seaview schools (at Southend) last weekend, and had a pleasant and informative chat with both. Will probably visit a couple more next weekend.

Last hurdle now, to acquire some cash and convince my other half (he has "safety" concerns).

Kolibear
25th Aug 2004, 13:46
Hi Redbird,

Welcome to pprune.

Try having a trial lesson at either Stapleford or Southend to see how you feel about them. At the end of the day, you can deliberate for hours about the pros and cons of two airfields, but the best place to fly from is the one where you feel most comfortable.

I trained at Southend and it was fine, but I'm sure I'd have been just as happy at Stapleford, seeing as I'm more or less equidistant between the two.

Ray Ban
25th Aug 2004, 13:46
Willowair, Seawing, Southend School of Flying and finally Southend Flying Club are the clubs based at Southend Airport.

G SXTY
26th Aug 2004, 12:01
I’d echo the comments about Stapleford. Did my PPL with them and found them to be very professional. It’s certainly true that there are ‘clubbier’ flying clubs around, but it comes down to what your priorities are.

There’s also an argument that if you cut your teeth at a busy field with just A/G radio (e.g. Stapleford) your confidence will build quicker than if ATC are authorising your every move.

In addition to which, early solo landings on a bumpy downhill grass strip are more of a challenge than the vast expanse of tarmac you have at Southend.

On the downside, Stapleford don’t have a resident Vulcan. :sad:

rolling20
27th Aug 2004, 13:23
horses for courses...i trained at Southend Flying Club..very Professional oufit.Both my Fi's are now with major airlines flying 767/747's.
i always thought it better to start with all the advantages at your disposal...its better to have a mile of tarmac ahead of you in your early flying life,then hone your skills on something more challenging after getting a few hours under your belt!
anyways thats my opinion..............good luck!!!

You what?
28th Aug 2004, 11:25
Both my Fi's are now with major airlines flying 767/747's.

Your point being what? What job's ex Flying Instructors happen to be doing has got nothing to do with the flying club that they used to instruct at.

My ex FI is now a lawyer.

Keef
28th Aug 2004, 14:07
I learned at Southend and am based there now with the Arrow.

No comment on the schools - my experience with them is too long ago.

BUT ... the landing fees at Southend are around £16 a go (a bit less for circuits). I don't know what Stapleford charges. If you reckon you might do 100 landings (maybe a lot more!), that becomes significant.

smallpilot
28th Aug 2004, 18:41
Keef, I fly from Sarfend too, so agree with your comments about the landing fees... but you dont have to do your T+G's there. I had one instructor who used to take 2 studes at a time over to Calais + do some there -combined it with a bit of navex and some drawback too! Also both Earls colne + Andrewsfield are nearby + I'm sure you could do cuircuits there...

Say again s l o w l y
29th Aug 2004, 15:12
How about Earls Colne, not far from the A12 and no £16 landing fees to contend with. Nice new a/c aswell.

ESSEX BOY
29th Aug 2004, 20:39
No there not £16 ... i think its £10 ?

Stapleford do own the Airfield ... so landing fees are included in the price !

Good fleet of aircraft - excellent availability, and agree with previous posts on C152's & PA28's

Stapleford is a v.good training airfield, The bigger airports (southend) are included in nav's so a good variety.

Go and have a trial lesson as suggested & good luck whatever your choice !

EB :ok:

Say again s l o w l y
29th Aug 2004, 22:03
£10 for visitors, £5 for home based and students at EC.

Redbird72
31st Aug 2004, 13:13
An avalanche of advice! Thanks people, I'm very grateful.

On the grass vs. tarmac thing - do airfields with grass strips lose a lot of extra days due to water logging/freezing etc?

I will look up Earls Colne - hadn't paid them much attention yet.

Thanks again :D

RodgerF
31st Aug 2004, 13:18
Quote:

BUT ... the landing fees at Southend are around £16 a go (a bit less for circuits).

And a lot less for the clubs based there.

montster
31st Aug 2004, 14:49
Redbird, I'm considering moving to Earls Colne myself (for private hire, not as a student). They seem like a very friendly bunch, and their aircraft look decent. The runway is grass and tarmac - the grass bit is narrow, the tarmac bit is narrower! All good practice! Apparently the grass does tend to get waterlogged in winter. I currently fly from Panshanger (grass runway) and in 3 years have only had one cancellation due to the wet runway - I guess it all depends on land underneath.

I have also heard very good things about Andrewsfield, but not paid them a visit myself yet.

Say again s l o w l y
4th Sep 2004, 12:57
It's not narrow! Compared to most farm strips it's like Heathrow!

The tarmac allows all year round operations and with the new tarmac taxiways, you never need to come in contact with the grass at all.

In relation to grass strips in the winter, you may as well write off Feb, March and April due to water logging. Only places such as Fowlmere (on top of a hill and sandy soil) can realistically operate year round. (Though even Fowlmere seems to put restrictions up to protect the surface for the summer.) Earls Colne used to shut for weeks on end when there was only grass.

To me having the option of both Tarmac and Grass is perfect. Tarmac on it's own is boring and the weather related restrictions on a Grass only strip can get very aggravating as well.