PDA

View Full Version : Ryanair Engine Failure at EMA

Jet A1
16th Aug 2004, 10:30
Hear a -200 DUB crew swung it back into EMA after losing an engine this mornin just after take off.

Not Ryanair bashing - just posting a bit of news.

Artificial Horizon
16th Aug 2004, 17:06
Yep, heard them on the MANCH frequency this morning, they said it was 'an in flight shutdown'. Ryanair 535 I believe was the callsign. Be interested to find out what happened or what the cause was.

737James
16th Aug 2004, 23:19
I don't have any further information except the aircraft involved was EI-CNX as that has been sitting here on the apron all day.
It will be interesting to find out what happened and the cause.
But im sure it was handled excellently as usual by Ema ATC, fire service and ops department lets hope the local papers are not filled with horror stories over the next few days.

Taildragger
17th Aug 2004, 16:28
Not taking anything away from the handling of the incident, which I am sure was totally professional, but is an engine shut down worthy of a bit of a hoo hah.....and a lot of bandwidth, apart from the relationship between the Crew and their Laundry.??
Just asking.

Pegasus77
17th Aug 2004, 19:54
Hi Taildragger,

Offcourse it is... An inflight engine shutdown causing the crew to turn back to the departure airport is worth some hoo hah.
It does not happen a lot, and why not talk about it on a rumour network. I myself am curious what led to the crew shutting down the engine.

P77

BRISTOLRE
18th Aug 2004, 09:49
Fanblades over Kegworth.......

Taildragger
18th Aug 2004, 20:39
Pegasus...

I take your point. But is it so rare.?? Without trolling into the stats on a worldwide daily basis, I would venture that is not as rare as you would beleive. However, I wouldn't argue the point. My premise was simply that today, a shut down in cruise of, say a 777, is not as dramatic as was a shut down in a 737-200.
(Or a Cessna Caravan I warrant.!)

Bearcat
19th Aug 2004, 09:54
eng oil fliter bypass warning....was this the one?

Bomber Harris
19th Aug 2004, 16:50
Yep bearcat.

A precautionary shutdown due to the warning. All handled well I believe.

mbcxharm
19th Aug 2004, 17:04
Of course this sort of thing is worth talking about! Forums such as these provide an excellent place where we can learn about and discuss these sort of happenings (in addition to our own training), take away good points (and bad) and ultimately (hopefully) make our own operation that much safer (which is what we're payed for).