PDA

View Full Version : why hasnt Garmin come up with it

Pilot16
15th Aug 2004, 22:23
Having owned the garmin 196, Im wondering why Garming have not come up with a leather cover for it that is similiar to a mobile fone cover where the screen is visible through plastic.

The cover could stay on all the time protecting the unit from scratches and abrasion.

The closest item they have is nothing like what Im talking about.

:( :confused:

RichyRich
16th Aug 2004, 07:38
It sounds like a great business opportunity for you....

S-Works
16th Aug 2004, 10:39
cos the unit would not fit in the cradle in a case and if your aircraft is so shagged that you are going to get dirt and scratches on the unit I would find another airplane!

The Garmin kit is incredibly rugged, mine floats around loose in the bottom of my flight back and has not suffered and is VERY regularily used!

Garmin do a nice little carry bag for those that are more meticulous than me for about 15 quid.

Skylark4
16th Aug 2004, 12:03
I'll bet you keep the plastic delivery covers on the seats of your new car for years, probably until you sell it on.

Mike W

Pilot16
16th Aug 2004, 13:42
er... no, it was just a thought.

a £650 electronic item is not cheap. And Id like to lookafter mine :)

anyway thanks.

jimmydacraw
16th Aug 2004, 20:27
Pilot16 : I agree. The first thing to go would be the display too and I bet you that's not cheap to repair.
That's why I invested in the carry case for it.

It's 10 quid here, in the accessories section on the left ;)
http://www.harrymendelssohn.com/homeframe.html

Jimmydacraw

Skylark4
16th Aug 2004, 21:12
A carry case is one thing and makes sense. A case with a plastic cover you can't see through when its difficult enough to see the damned thing anyway, doesn't.

Mike W

Pilot16
18th Aug 2004, 13:31
thanks jimmydacraw

I have the protective cover for 296 on order from Transair,

Should fit my 196 :)