PDA

View Full Version : where should I start?

one2go
15th Aug 2004, 18:34
Guys,

I'm flying the minibus for a living having wizzed around in f Jets for abit. I want to get into light aircraft but have zero knowledge about the scene as all my flying has been jet (apart from 45 hours on the bulldog ages ago!). My ATPL gives me SE and ME privilages but I need you help!

Can you recommend some books/web sites/forum threads/etc for me to get stuck into? Where can I learn about permit to fly verses CoA aircraft for example? lots of fairly in depth discussions going on in this forum but I need a basic handle on the options open to me.

Cheers one2go

Monocock
15th Aug 2004, 20:08
I would like to think I have a reasonable knowledge of the kind of thing you are trying to find out about.

PM me as I see you are not that far from me and perhaps we should meet for a pint or two to discuss as there is a lot to talk about!

PS, If you're female I'll have to bring my wife in case she thinks I'm playing away!

FlyingForFun
15th Aug 2004, 20:19
One2go,

First of all, I'd be quite surprised if your ATPL gives you SE privileges in the way you'd imagine. In order to fly a SE aeroplane, you must have a valid license (your ATPL will do just fine for that), and you must also have a valid Single Engine Piston class rating. I doubt if your class rating is valid - the normal way of keeping it valid would be to fly 12 hours of SE in the last 12 months of each 24 month period. It must be SE time - ME time doesn't count - which is why my guess would be that yours has expired.

Assuming that your SE class rating has expired by more than 5 years, you must take a test (basically the same as PPL skills test but without the navigation part) with an examiner, and send some paperwork in to the CAA along with a fee. Only the CAA can renew your rating if it has expired by more than 5 years. For less than 5 years, the examiner can renew the license but you still need to send some paperwork off to the CAA. You might decide that you need a few hours of instruction before this test to bring you up to standard.

Once you've got that sorted out, get yourself down to your local flying club where you should be able to hire an aircraft after being checked out by the club's instructors. Or else buy your own aircraft, or a share in an aircraft.

You specifically mention CofA versus PFA. Not quite sure exactly what you're looking for..... an aeroplane is an aeroplane, whatever type of certificate it's got. The biggest difference is in who is allowed to maintain the aircraft (you must be a licensed engineer to maintain a CofA aircraft, apart from a short list of small items that an owner can do himself). Also, PFA aircraft are day VFR only, and not allowed over built-up areas. If there's anything else more specific that you want to know, then just ask.

Hope that's at least a start for you!

FFF
---------------

one2go
16th Aug 2004, 16:38
Thanks for that gen FFF.

Does a permit aircraft have a weight limit? From what you posted it sounds like they might be cheaper to maintain if you can do abit more yourself. Would it be possible to import a ready to fly Zenair701 on a permit or does a permit have to involve some selfbuild?

One2go

Mark 1
17th Aug 2004, 12:39
Permits to fly can only be issued now to aircraft not eligible for a CofA. That excludes most factory built aircraft, but includes homebuilts and some ex-military and vintage aircraft.
The PFA can approve the issue of permits subject to certain limits.

You can import a foreign homebuilt. It should ideally be of a type that already has gained approval. In any event a very thorough inspection will be required.

The PFA web site has much information on http://www.pfanet.co.uk/engineering_services/information_leaflets.asp
You should certainly talk to them before proceeding with an import.

On the other hand, buying an existing G reg'd aircraft with a current permit is a relatively straightforward process.

The concession to maintain a permit aircraft yourself is actually not a lot different than for a CofA aircraft, except that the signatory and approval for the work is a PFA inspector rather than a licensed engineer, and you do not need 'tagged' parts so long as the inspector deems them airworthy.

TD&H
17th Aug 2004, 13:12
One2go

You may have noticed BEagle as a frequent poster on PPrune, as an ex-military pilot he may be an ideal contact for helping an ex-FJ pilot get used to light aeroplane driving.

Also Andy Cubin at Kemble could be another useful contact. Another ex-FJ pilot.

They will both know how to relate to your experience.

As for PFA types (I operate one and would happily show you it once a bit more work is done to get her airworthy again!) the advantage is that you can do most of the maintenance work yourself, with an inspector to supervise. So you'll be saving lots of man-hour costs that can show up on CofA types. So they'll be cheaper to operate. There are some quite sporty types in the PFA list (go onto their website to see a list of approved types), so you can have fun with aerobatics or just pootle along admiring the scenery, whatever you fancy.

Get a copy of the PFA mag (Popular Flying) to see typical aeroplanes for sale and hence an idea of cost. Alot can depend on ageand capability. But from £10,000 upwards (no limit!). But also look at joining a group (see PF adverts at the back) where for say £30/month and £30/hour you can get to fly some good types, and generally find a suitable group near home.

Happy flying, cheers H

one2go
19th Aug 2004, 09:11
Thanks for the info guys,

Once I've done abit of refresher flying and passed the SEP rating test what will that leave me with as my ATPL is 7 years old and I don't think it's registered as a JAROPS ATPL. Will I have a JARPPL with a SEP rating?

One2go

Mark 1
19th Aug 2004, 12:21
If you have a UK ATPL, then you should have the privileges of a CPL with IMC rating, though there aren't many SEP pilot's jobs to take advantage.

I think you should be able to apply for a JAR PPL on the basis of this, though there's little reason to do so, unless you fly a lot from other JAA states.

Your night privileges should also be valid on SEP subject to the 90 day rule (may be different if you have a current IR).