PDA

View Full Version : Kenn BOREK air ?

perceval
15th Aug 2004, 17:06
hi everybody ,
I am interested in attempting to apply to this company at some point.
Perousing through their website , it looks like a very attractive job
. Would anybody have some insights ??
Also , what are the possibilities of getting in as a qualified but non-canadian pilot ?
:D

roverlad
16th Aug 2004, 22:25
you will need a float rating an an icao rated licences. you would,if you can luckily make it in,fly for them only in the maldives. as far as i know they only hire foreign (non canadian guys) for their maldives operation.
if you know the right people,you are in.if not there are alot of guys that want to work for them. if you have a ppc on the twin otter that would help alot to get on in the maldives.
private message me if you have any more questions...

roverlad

skibeagle
27th Aug 2004, 00:32
there are lots of Canadian Borek Pilots in the Maldives and Yangon for that matter...

justcurious
27th Aug 2004, 16:54
We have, do, and will hire non-Canadians for the Maldivian operations. However, that having been said, it is usually due to a shortage of Canadian applicants, which is rare, or the applicant having significant experience either on the Otter, or on floats, or in a country where we are just starting up operations.

We've had a number of Aussies in the 'Dives over the years. A couple of ex-British Antarctic Survey types, a Peruvian, and a couple of Russians. Currently all the employees are Canuck. I think.

A stumbling block for most applicants is the ICAO float rating.

bronson
5th Sep 2004, 20:06
I have about 9000 hrs on floats but don't have a clue as to getting an ICAO rating. Can you enlighten me there? I actually have never even heard of one 'til just now!

SAW
7th Sep 2004, 01:16
I believe an ICAO float rating is nothing more than a rating on an ICAO recognized licence.

Alt.cap
7th Sep 2004, 10:00
Excuse me interupting your thread slightly.

I'm visiting Vancouver in October and while appreciating the weather may not be the best for sightseeing would appreciate any recomendations for operators offering float plane flying. I'm non float rated and are looking for a couple of hours with an instructor for myself and Mrs A.c to have look around. PM me if you'd rather not be accused of breaking site rules ref advertising. ;)

SAW
8th Sep 2004, 14:57
Hi Alt,

There is a school in Langley that maybe able to help you out. If not have you thought about hopping on one of the sked flights between Vancouver and Victoria. There are several operators that do these flights in Twin Otter, Beavers and Turbo Otters. They depart the YVR harbour and land in the Victoria harbour. My wife and I did it a couple of years ago. We then took the ferry back to the mainland as walk on passengers. There are bus services into downtown YVR from the ferry terminal. I you really want to fly floats try asking on the Avcanada site lots of YVR based guys there that maybe able to help.

lead zeppelin
9th Sep 2004, 00:43
Alt.

Try West Coast Air for the sightseeing, and ask the pilot who's good for training - he/she should know.

http://www.westcoastair.com

Cheers!

Barry Murphy
8th Jan 2005, 23:37
hello,

The Ken Borek Air website states first officer minimums of 250 hours PIC, 500 hours Total time. Do they actually hire pilots with these minimums?

hibypassratio
9th Jan 2005, 17:09
it is my understanding that KB normally hires pilots who already have a type rating and some experience on one of their types, whether B100, B200 or twin otter. They normally pay better than the operations these pilots come from.

Luftwaffle
9th Jan 2005, 18:21
Speaking of Kenn Borek, does anyone know the effect of the tsunami on the fleet, facilities, and continued operations in the Maldives?

Are piots coming home for lack of work, or are the twin otters involved in reconstruction/aid efforts?

EdmontonCTR
10th Jan 2005, 08:02
@Luftwaffle

http://north.cbc.ca/regionalnews/caches/tsnami-borek-01052004.html

justcurious
3rd Jun 2005, 22:52
Yes, your resume would be given consideration for the Maldives. As for the working in Canada bit, I've no idea about the Byzantine rules for getting a work permit.

We have two machines in Burma, 17-20 in the 'Dives and I've no idea where in the world out survey machine is right now. Rumour had it that the 'Dives were supposed to be operating a wheeled machine or two this year.