PDA

View Full Version : BECOMING AN INSTRUCTOR?

BAK
13th Feb 2000, 15:40
Can anyone help please? I am 49years old,with a British PPL (lapsed IMC) and about 200hrs P1. I would like to try and become an instructor, but I am having problems now with the new JAA rules. Getting my CPL now seems impossible at present because nowone does a CPL only groundschool, Only ATPL.

My question is, should I get an instructors rating as a PPL only, knowing of course, that I will not be able to earn any money, then look at the groundschooling after, while then hopefully getting some "free" flying while instructing.

Any information would be appreciated thanks

Airprox
13th Feb 2000, 22:28
Bak,

I can't see where GA in Europe will get its PPL flying instructors from now that JAR is here.

Like me most instructors are flying in the airlines and either don't want to or aren't allowed to instruct.

The JAR CPL is too much work and cost for most people wanting to just instruct. A few instructors may get upset if you instruct for nothing (but thats all you can do on a PPL). Maybe its time the CAA in their wisdom allowed PPLs with the proper training and knowledge to become instructors - just like it used to be!

Good luck with the JAR course

Airprox ;)

arrow2
14th Feb 2000, 19:31
BAK,

I sympathise - I too would love to do some part time instructing to earn a little weekend pocket money and have a standby skill for the future (one never knows when it may be needed!) - but as I understand it I would need CPL exams and Class 1 medical which I do not believe I would get - my eyesight is within class 2 limits but not class 1. Only option to do PPL FIR without pay, but a lot of money for no financial return...... no easy answer.

arrow 2

StrateandLevel
15th Feb 2000, 02:01
You must have passed the CPL ground exams to start a FI Course. Its a bit of a waste to do that and then not get the Licence as the exams are only valid for 36 months once taken. There may not be any CPL courses at the moment but they shoulsd start to appear soon.
If you instruct on a PPL under JAR-FCL you only need a Class 2 Medical.

BEagle
15th Feb 2000, 11:20
Good morning Des!! As I know that these posts will be brought to your attention, I would just like to remind you that these comments are PRECISELY what we've all been trying to tell the Authority ever since we first realised what the implications of JAR-FCL would be on the supply of future PPL instructors.
Perhaps other readers would care to look at the 'Air Mail' section in February's 'Pilot' and send their comments on the proposals expressed therein to the CAA??

C152
20th Feb 2000, 01:30
I caught a quick glimpse of an article in the AOPA light aviation magazine, which suggested that they were lobbying for a UK PPL and UK instructor rating, allowing instructors to work, and be paid, on a PPL + class 2 medical. In short a bit like the way it was before the BCPL came along.