PDA

View Full Version : Antiquated?

WX Man
23rd Jun 2000, 02:02
I have a problem, and it's called the CRP-5.

My problem? I can't use it, that's what the problem is. Every time I draw the lines/ dots on the thing, I get a different answer, so I have to ask myself this question:

WHY?

Why do we still have to use a whizz wheel in this day and age?

Before I go embarrasing myself and writing a letter to all sorts of magazines, and the CAA etc., maybe I could benefit from some wisdom, viz., that of the flying instructor.

If you can shed light as to why it is a useful skill to be able to use a whizz wheel as opposed to the electronic equivalent (made by the likes of Jeppesen and costing £20 less), I would be grateful.

A and C
24th Jun 2000, 13:16
You cant have set the thing up properly, first you have to shim the bits that hold the revolving face,old postcards are good for this and take care not to drop the screws they run under the nearest fixed object and are imposable to find, now screw the thing down tight so the revolving face runns true about the center, you will now find that it is almost imposable to move due to the friction so lubricate it with french chalk or you favorate talc !

Good luck you will come to love the CPR 5 ....NOT.

Tinstaafl
25th Jun 2000, 00:25
Have you checked the batteries? :) :)

However, give the CRP series a new home in the bin and then buy a Jepessen CR type eg CR5 or CR2. There's even a CR1 that's big enough to make a good frisbee. My CR5s have worked perfectly for Oz, USA & UK ATPLs. Alternatively, Kane used to make excellent slide type

As for why have them, they don't need power (apart from light to see them). In many circumstances I can derive answers faster on my whiz wheel than through using a calculator of some sort.

Another advantage, they also force the user to confirm the answer with a 'reasonable-ness' check. Calculators tend lead people to accept whatever shows on the screen.

Last of all, if you can use the calculator side of any of the whiz wheels, then you will know what the bezel on your big pilot's watch is for!! :) :) :)

Flintstone
26th Jun 2000, 00:33
I'd agree with Tint although as far as using any model other than the CRP-5 for UK exams is concerned, beware. I am told that the CAA use this when working out the questions. As anyone who has tried to cross-check questions on different models will attest, your answers can vary.

Tinstaafl
26th Jun 2000, 02:01
I found my CR type was consistantly more accurate than the CRP types. What's more its deviation range was less than that of the room full of CRPs.

A slight caveat though. There are one or two slight shortcuts/assumptions used with the CR type, as long as you choose not to use the shortcuts/assumptions then the answer was accurate enough. My CR is the smallest availabe (a CR5) so is the least accurate.

hmmm.....how many guys would admit to having the smallest? http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/redface.gif :)

[This message has been edited by Tinstaafl (edited 25 June 2000).]

The Twin
26th Jun 2000, 16:42
What about the biggest?

Have you seen those whoppers they use in the classroom.

I so wanted to see the reaction of the invigilators when I turned up with one of them.

Naaa - CRP5, couldn't contemplate life without the little fella.

Flintstone
26th Jun 2000, 20:55
Only you Tins, only you.

Shed Driver
26th Jun 2000, 22:06
If you have to purchase one then it has to be the CRP5, no point buying a Jep when it is not the recognised bit of kit, anyway, ever looked at the quality of the Jep stuff?

BlueLine
26th Jun 2000, 22:34
Never had any trouble with the RAF Dalton MKIV metal one.

One good tip, only use a pencil not a felt tip or chinagraph.