PDA

View Full Version : VRPs and Garmin GPS

green dinosaur
15th Aug 2004, 11:44
Has anyone got a program where I can download all the VRPS into my GPS??? I know I can input them from the Lat/Long position, but this takes time!!

thanks

IO540
15th Aug 2004, 18:01
The usual method of loading a route into a GPS is using software like Navbox (www.navbox.nl). There are others but as you mention VRPs I take it you fly VFR, and Navbox is a great program and great value.

One should never load anything in using coordinates. I bet most of the people who infringed airspace despite carrying what had been described as a GPS were doing just that. Alternatively they were using a GPS which didn't have a moving map - those are just trouble looking for a place to happen.

Morgo
16th Aug 2004, 15:19
The usual method of loading a route into a GPS is using software like Navbox (www.navbox.nl). There are others but as you mention VRPs I take it you fly VFR, and Navbox is a great program and great value.

Just to be clear on this: if you buy Navbox it will upload all the VRPs to the GPS unit, or it will only load those relevant to the route you have entered?

IO540
16th Aug 2004, 19:16
It will load only the waypoints that make up your route (called the "flight plan" in the GPS docs, NOT the same thing as an ICAO Flight Plan that you have to file when e.g. going abroad).

But I now realise from your question that you must be using one of those cheap units that don't have a moving map, or perhaps a non-aviation moving map GPS. I can't honestly recommend one of those.

Spitoon
16th Aug 2004, 19:31
One should never load anything in using coordinates. I bet most of the people who infringed airspace despite carrying what had been described as a GPS were doing just that. Alternatively they were using a GPS which didn't have a moving map - those are just trouble looking for a place to happen.
You will of course check the co-ordinates that you've downloaded. Or will you go blaming whoever you downloaded the data from when you've busted some controlled airspace or a Danger Area?

IO540
16th Aug 2004, 21:25
Every human, and most computers will make mistakes :O

So, the general idea is to do things in such a way that mistakes get picked up. This applies whether you are flying a plane, or making 10,000 widgets per month which will make your phone line go red hot if more than 0.1% of them don't work.

With a flight planning prog like Navbox, the program has a map with all the normal waypoints (airfields, navaids, controlled airspace boundaries, IFR intersections, etc) and you just click, click, click and then load the route into the GPS which is connected to the PC with an RS232 cable.

THEN you display the route on the GPS screen and make sure it looks right. This step is crucial, if 99.99% likely redundant if one is using Navbox or such which has about 10k other frequent users around Europe and is updated monthly. It is much more crucial if one loaded the route from within the GPS's database (e.g. EGAA ABC EFG ORTAC EGZZ) because that is then the only gross error check for mistakes like loading MAY instead of MID.

Obviously one still uses the printed chart for primary planning reference for elevations and controlled airspace - there is no real way around that at present. But Navbox is a great way to generate a wind corrected plog, an ICAO flight plan, etc.

However I think I am talking complete cross purposes here, because I think this man is after a database of waypoints which he can load into a GPS bought for £100 from a camping shop. This market is what a book called The GPS Companion was aimed at - a great way to transpose a couple of lat/long digits.

Morgo
17th Aug 2004, 08:12
It will load only the waypoints that make up your route (called the "flight plan" in the GPS docs, NOT the same thing as an ICAO Flight Plan that you have to file when e.g. going abroad).

From my perspective, I have a GARMIN 196. I have only just started using it, so not totally au fait. However, I did notice that it doesn't have (unless I have missed the blindingly obvious) any VRPs in it. The first one I came across was Brighton Marina which I had to add manually for my trip to Shoreham.

So, if there was something that would upload those to my GPS then I would find it useful...unless I have overlooked/not found the functionality of my unit that covers it :)

IO540
17th Aug 2004, 08:20
Navbox contains the VRPs, and they get loaded into the GPS when you transfer the route. Whether they remain in the GPS afterwards (for subsequent flight planning when Navbox isn't used) I don't know; different makes of GPS handle user waypoints in different ways.

wbryce
17th Aug 2004, 13:20
does navbox work with the 296? I can recall a discussion regarding it awhile back....