PDA

View Full Version : Instructor Seninars

Gear up Shut up
13th Feb 2000, 01:09
I'm thinking about renewing my FI rating - now I know that I'll have to do one of these seminars, but I'm hoping to find out the following:

Where? When? Who? How much?

Any info or contacts would be greatfully received........tar http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/confused.gif

[This message has been edited by Gear up Shut up (edited 12 February 2000).]

britavia
15th Feb 2000, 18:14
Are you talking FAA here? If so, I'm renewing mine through Aviation Seminars at Orlando. Cost $139 if you go through their website, although it should have been $149 as they made a mistake on their website. Never been to them before so it will be interesting to see what happens.

BEagle
15th Feb 2000, 22:11
If you're talking JAR-FCL, look in Newsline Edition 10 on the CAA website.

Gear up Shut up
16th Feb 2000, 15:08
Talking JAR-FCL........thanks for the response chaps.

A Very Civil Pilot
20th Feb 2000, 23:54
I'm waiting to get some feedback as to what the seminars are like. In the meantime with the seminar at £250, and the renewal flight test at about £150 and an hour in the logbook, I know which way I'll be going.

------------------
The Civil Aviator ;)

BEagle
21st Feb 2000, 00:08
If you'd seen a colleague who only instructs as a spare time hobby try 8 times to get weather, aircraft and FI(E) together for a re-validation proficiency check and then had to pay £150 plus transit time there and back to the FI(E)'s aerodrome plus flight time for the test, you would probably change your point of view!! Whereas for the seminar, you just have to book and turn up. Quite what we'll be doing at the seminar remains to be seen - if you haven't done a FI(A) revalidation proficiency check under JARs, you'll find the length of the test and amount of ground time quite an eye-opener, I think you'll find!!

StrateandLevel
21st Feb 2000, 02:23
The seminar is a two day event with 12 hours of lectures, briefings and audience participation in syndicate type work groups. Costs seem to be about £250 but you will need overnight accomodation so really when you add a few beers there won't be much change from £350.

Gear up Shut up
25th Feb 2000, 12:34
eeck, not many beer tokens then - but anyone know where? http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/confused.gif

sluggums
26th Feb 2000, 21:55
GUSU, if you go to www.flightexaminers.co.uk (http://www.flightexaminers.co.uk) or .com I think it will give you the info. As far as I know this is the only co. in the UK that is doing this course.

Gear up Shut up
27th Feb 2000, 12:49
Thanx Sluggums.

Vigilant Driver
28th Feb 2000, 13:19
Anyone going to the Bournemouth FI Seminar 3/4 April?

If so we ought to have a PPRuNe Instructors bash!?

Vigi.

BEagle
16th Mar 2000, 01:43
Just back from the ETA Instructors' Seminar in Cambridge. The verdict?? - well, if you get the option to go to the seminar rather than doing the FI revalidation proficiency check - TAKE IT!! 2 days of interesting lectures, a worthwhile and pretty straightforward syndicate task to do and some interesting ideas to exchange. A pleasant atmosphere and an excellent way to revalidate. Thanks Tony!!

A Very Civil Pilot
16th Mar 2000, 01:49
In one of the recent issues of Pilot or Flyer, it said that Exeter Flying Club will be doing them for £10.

Gear up Shut up
16th Mar 2000, 12:14
BEagle: I tried to get on the Cambs seminar but alas was all full http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/frown.gif but nevertheless sounds good from your feedback. :)

I am going to the one in Bournemouth, so see you there Vig Driver.

[This message has been edited by Gear up Shut up (edited 16 March 2000).]

Fokjok
17th Mar 2000, 02:19
So, in 2008, after years of seminars and no flight tests, how many of you will still know how to get out of a spin when your student puts you in one in an incorrectly loaded C150?

Don't believe me? Try it and see - but say 'good-bye' to the wife first, not 'au revoir'.

http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/frown.gif

BEagle
17th Mar 2000, 10:17
Which is why there is such a thing as a mandatory bi-ennial flight with another FI(A) or Proficiency Check with an FE(A) for ALL SEP Class Rating holders - including FIs!! However, it is left to the individual professionalism of the FI(A) to ensure that they remain adequately proficient without mandatory testing.

Vigilant Driver
22nd Mar 2000, 18:14
Sorry Gear Up, but the CAA (bless ‘em!) have varied my Instructor’s ticket so I don’t need a seminar until next year, so I will not be at Bournemouth now.
Have fun and remember with all seminar type things ‘You only get out what ya put in!’

Vigi.

Gear up Shut up
23rd Mar 2000, 13:03
You lucky, lucky, b@st@ard! How'd you do that one?

Oh - I intend on putting everything into it paracetemol at the ready for the second day! :) :)

Vigilant Driver
24th Mar 2000, 13:22
Gear Up,

Well it’s a bit of a long story but basically I ended up with an AFI when I should have had an FI®. A nice CAA ‘trapper’ spotted the error and kindly fixed it for me. :)

Gear up Shut up
27th Mar 2000, 22:26
Nice one, bet they didn't admit to the error and tried to charge you for it though ;) ;)