PDA

View Full Version : Cleared ILS App vs Not Cleared ILS App?

EastCoaster
13th Aug 2004, 17:03
Hi,

Quick query in relation to what pilot's actually understand in relation to an instruction vs a clearance!

First contact with i/b aircraft, instructed to route own-nav to centre fix for the ILS and advised of their next required reporting point.

Read back, a lot of the time (and increasingly) as "Route to xxx, maintin FLyyy on reaching, and Cleared ILS approach RwyZZ , wilco abc123"

The intention of the instruction is to get the flight to a position from which an ILS approach may be commenced, but it is also a position where holding may be required. Normal practice for ATS here is not to clear i/b traffic for the ILS approach until about to become fully established, as further separation may be required.

There have been a number of occasions when pilots have had to be told, following the readback given above, that they were not yet Cleared for the ILS Approach, and to expect such Clearance after reporting established, due to low-level GA crossing traffic etc.

My query is whether this instruction is being misinterpreted by all, or is a possible change in the ATS operating procedures needed here to avoid any possible ambiguity?

Tinstaafl
13th Aug 2004, 17:42
What's ambigous about being cleared to the IAF for any particular approach? That's the limit of the clearance while also giving you a prior warning about what approach will be used.

It's equivalent to recieving a taxi clearance touse xx runway. No one expects that to mean to enter the designated runway. We all know you're expected to seek a further clearance to continue onto the runway and stop at the holding point if not received.

Same with the 'cleared to' phrase.

EastCoaster
13th Aug 2004, 18:00
Thanks for that Tin, you've echoed what I was thinking, but had to make sure.

Don't get me wrong, I do not have a problem with it, and I have absolutely no problem reminding crews that they have not been Cleared for the approach if necessary.

Just wanted a little perspective from the other side of the fence.

Thanks again.

alexban
13th Aug 2004, 20:01
why not saying :clear to xx,mantain fl .. and expect ils rwy ..?
A lot less ambiguous than cleared ils app!
If you'll tell me go to xxx (IF) and cleared ILS app,you bet I'll intercept the ils loc and GS ! I've been cleared by you to do that.
Tin: your ex it's not so good,usually you're cleared to HOLDING POINT rwy xxx, so no clearance to enter rwy.
Eastcoaster,I suggest you use some kind of instructions as I told you before,it's a lot less ambiguous to the pilots.
Clear to IF ,with FL,and EXPECT ils app rwy xxx, would be much better.
Brgds Alex

Old Smokey
14th Aug 2004, 05:27
EastCoaster,

I'm in complete agreement with Tinstaafl that there is no ambiguity in the example you've given, nor are there any grounds for confusion as it's such a common clearance.

Alexban does make a very good point that the better control instructions would include an EXPECT advice, so that the pilots can plan accordingly.

As you "Just wanted a little perspective from the other side of the fence", here's 2 considerations -

(1) If it is ATC intention that the aircraft may have to hold (which you've alluded to), there is a significant difference between the aircraft speed and configuration for holding, and that for approach. Holding will generally be clean or at a low-drag flap setting at a relatively higher speed, preparation for approach entry will probably be with intermediate flap settings at somewhat lower speeds.

(2) Whilst many aircraft have separate Localiser and Glide Slope arming functions on the Auto-Pilot / Flight Director, or separate Localiser / Approach arm functions, many aircraft only have one single Approach arm function which implies that the aircraft may not be armed for Localiser capture alone, without also arming the Glide Slope function. (This does not excuse pilots for making an uncleared approach, but might explain why they're angling for full approach clearance). In this latter case, 'establishment' on the localiser may only be accomplished by using secondary modes (Heading and 'raw' Nav data) rather than the full AP / FD capability.

EastCoaster
14th Aug 2004, 08:27
Alexban,

I appreciate what you're trying to say, but I think you may have missed the point somewhat: The word "Cleared" was not used in the initial instruction, meaning that it was not a Clearance but an instruction. The problem is that some crews appear to be "interpreting" it as a Clearance, which in my eyes holds potential dangers!

Tinstaafl's point about the Clearance Limit is valid here, although again it was not strictly a Clearance, and I do agree with what you said with:
"why not saying :clear to xx,mantain fl .. and expect ils rwy ..? "

Perhaps I should elaborate a little here. Although in my initial query I said that this was happening on first contact with the i/b aircraft, it is more accurate to say that it is happening on handover from the previous sector; first contact is invariably about a half-hour previous to this when the flights check-in for airfield/landing data, at which time they are advised of the runway in use and the type of approach to expect.

So the point here is that they already know which type of approach, and I'm not being argumentative about this at all, I was merely querying the apparent interpretation by some of what I had thought to be an unambiguous instruction!

Old Smokey, thanks or that info by the way, much appreciated. Not generally the sort of thing they teach you in the College. Every little bit helps though. :ok:

brimstone
14th Aug 2004, 10:20
EastCoaster - interesting question. Here in the UK controllers are not permitted to initiate reference to "centrefix" because there is no laid down defined point of a particular "centrefix". Also it can be a different point for particular aircraft operators or even different types used by the same operator. Added to which there are no promulgated procedures here using a "centerfix."

If a pilot requests permission to route to the "centrefix" we are supposed to confirm the location so that we can take it into account when controlling the flight in terms of terrain clearance etc.

In my limited experience of pilots requesting to route to a "centrefix" it is a point on final approach anywhere between an 8-10 mile ILS final and I wouldn't clear a pilot to the "centrefix" without the expectation that he will be able to carry out the approach without delay.

Therefore I am not totally surprised to hear that has been confusion about whether or not a pilot has been cleared for the approach.

EastCoaster
14th Aug 2004, 11:24
Brimstone

Good point, and well put.
But what if the centre-fix were an actual named position, which had been determined (by whatever means!) as the point at which your average pax-carrying a/c will intercept the 3deg GS for the ILS App? And what if it also happened to be a published VOR/DME hold? Both of which pieces of info were well known to regular users!

Unfamiliar crews I can understand encountering some uncertainty or being possibly a bit confused, but it appears to be more a case of regular users involved!

With reference to what you said, any instruction to route to the centre-fix that I've ever heard have been after a crew request, and in common with your operating procedures, the position of that centre-fix has been determined. It usually turns out that it's actually not a million miles away from the published position!

The instruction from this end always uses the name of the published position, I used the term centre-fix myself for simplicity sake (guess that wasn't so clever!).

I can see where you're coming from on this, and it is actually quite rare that the flight would not be cleared for the App on establishing, but it is always better to be careful and to keep at least one trump up your sleeve, don't you think, rather than ending up with egg on your face and having to cancel a previously issued Clearance, or worse!!

brimstone
14th Aug 2004, 16:37
EastCoaster - I think the problem here is with the term "centre-fix" itself which may be compromising unambiguous understanding between ATC and aircrew.

It's my opinion that a "centre-fix" is construed by the crew as not just a routeing point or a possible holding point but as part of the approach ie they would expect to cross the centre-fix at 2500 or 3000ft or suchlike and then turn onto the localiser.

Therefore if the pilot requests to route to the "centre-fix", I would say that he is asking for a "no-delay" approach. If permission is granted then the crew would be justified in preparing for exactly that.

You say that the instruction from your end always uses the name of the published position. Perhaps you should maybe emphasise that the pilot is not being cleared to the centre-fix with a "negative route to XYZ expect no delay" or something similar.

Are we anywhere near resolving this?

EastCoaster
14th Aug 2004, 17:50
I think we'd best agree to disagree on this one Brimstone.

As I have already said previously on this thread, the crew are not being actively instructed to route to "the centre-fix for the ILS", they are being routed to a point at which to intercept the ILS. If any action other than immediate approach on arrival at this point is intended, the crew will be advised of this in advance, as well as the reasons for it.

The fact that this point just happens to encompass not only the "centre-fix", but also a published hold and a FMS/GPS routeing point just happens to be coincidental!! I didn't design the thing, I only work it!

As the original query was about crews assuming a Clearance had been granted when there had been no mention of a Clearance in the transmission, and the fact that 2 of the 3 aircrew responses so far have stated that no ambiguity existed in the instruction, then I think I can safely feel that my query has been answered satisfactorily.

One thing that was drilled into me during training - be extremely mindful of readbacks where expectation/assumption vs reality is concerned. That's the core of the query really!

Thanks for your responses though, they made for very interesting reading. And believe me I can see where you're coming from and what it is that you're trying to say, but I don't believe that you have fully understood what it was that I was getting at. Sorry if my query caused you any confusion, believe me none was intended.

alexban
14th Aug 2004, 18:26
EastCoaster: In case you're instructions do not include the phrase 'cleared for the app' ,then you're right,and they are wrong.
We are very often cleared to a IF from where we can intercept the ils,but if no 'clearance for the app' it's issued then I will not intercept the ils.If this is the case,in order to avoid any confusion,I usually ask about the clearance just before the IF.
As I remember,I never did a holding so close to the rwy.
As I see,you instruct the a/c to route to center fix FOR the ils?
Maybe this 'FOR' is causing the confusion.It can suggest something like 'go there in order to intercept the ils'.
Brgds Alex

EastCoaster
14th Aug 2004, 18:44
Thanks for that Alex, that's exactly what I was getting at, and as I mentioned in my last post, if there is any intention other than the ILS approach, the crew will be notified in advance. :ok: :ok:

CaptainSquelch
14th Aug 2004, 21:47
Eastcoaster,

As I see it, the confusion comes from the "for the ILS" part of your instruction.
What I hear mostly, hopping through Europe, is either a vector or that I am instructed to go to a specific fix, which is then a point somewhere on the localizer 8 to 10 miles out. No mention of the ILS at that time.
The kind of approach is either mentioned on the ATIS or in the first interchange between Approach and the flight crew, but, as far as I remember, hardly ever at the moment when you are directed towards the ILS (or any other approach).

:) I can see Murphy smile when you use your "for the ILS" even though the instruction is absolutely correct.
:D He grins when some crew interprets this as "Cleared for Approach"
:p He laughs his *** off when the controller doesn't notice it.

Sq

Pub User
14th Aug 2004, 22:27
EastCoaster
the fact that 2 of the 3 aircrew responses so far have stated that no ambiguity existed in the instruction

So, one third of the responses has indicated that there is ambiguity and I have to agree.

CaptainSquelch has spotted it, it's the 'for the ILS' that causes confusion. Despite Brimstone's comments, controllers at my home base often give us instructions to fly 'direct to the centre-fix', but they than give the runway designator, not 'for the ILS'.