PDA

View Full Version : graduate training scheme entry

merlin505
13th Aug 2004, 15:53
I already have a degree in aeronautical engineering and am currently doing postgraduate study (PhD) in aerodynamics at university.

I still have a couple of years to go before i will be finished but when i do eventually finish i would like to apply to those airlines which have engineering training schemes as i would like to go into this field of engineering when i finish.

Alot of the guys in my office who are finishing their PhDs are finding that so far as industry jobs are concerned in alot of cases having a PhD is akin to having bubonic plague! You are either "over-qualified" or else they suspect that you are only applying for the job as a temporary stop-gap on your way to a more interesting job in research somewhere.

Does anyone know if this applies to the airline training schemes too? Will having a PhD make getting through the application-stage more difficult?

ukeng
14th Aug 2004, 15:59
What kind of job are you after? For a hands on maintenance engineer in the Uk you are academically overqualified. For a job in the tech services area you should walk into a job with an airline quite easily - just need to decide yourself what sort of job you want.
As an alternative you could try the manufacturer route although this kind of work can be a little tedious from what i've heard...

merlin505
16th Aug 2004, 12:33
Thanks for the reply Ukeng, I was thinking of something in the tech support branch of engineering rather than the hands on maintenance engineering. I spoke to guy i know who is a line engineer for Flybe and he already told me that i would be overqualified for his kind of work but i would be more than happy if i could get something in the tech services side of things :-)

ukeng
16th Aug 2004, 18:21
I don't know where you live but a nicely worded letter to Virgin might reap some rewards. They're expanding at the mo and might be looking for someone just like you!
Failing that just fire off a letter to the HR dept's of every airline you can think of - they might not be advertising at the moment but that doesn't mean to say they don't want you.
Best of luck :ok:

merlin505
17th Aug 2004, 17:15
Thanks again Ukeng,

you have been a great help! :cool: