PDA

View Full Version : BA's 777 headaches?

jerrystinger
13th Aug 2004, 11:34
There has been a noticeable increase in the number of fairly serious incidents involving BA 777s, most significantly the panel breakaway on a LGW-ANU bound jet, the LHR-YYZ 'smoke' incident (a/c diverted immediately to Cardiff), the LHR-HRE take-off incident and now the IAH-LGW emergency. Poor BA maintenance or a 777 worldwide issue?

Whippersnapper
13th Aug 2004, 17:41
Tabloid or broadsheet?

NigelOnDraft
13th Aug 2004, 18:37
jerrystinger

As an expert in this area, I am sure you can immediately state the proportion of BA sectors flown by 777's, and therefore alert BA's (and the CAA's) Safety Dept's to the fact that the proportion of incidents "suffered" by the 777 is outside statistical expectancy?

Of course, the fact that BA has an excellent and "open" reporting system, which has enabled you to know about such things, has been fully taken into account in your analysis?

NoD

jerrystinger
13th Aug 2004, 18:53
NoD - a very defensive answer from a probable BA 777 driver! My post originates mainly after reading a CNN article regarding BA 777s following the IAH incident and in which it cites a significant increase in recent incidents.
My point relates to this notable increase in 'significant' incidents and not those of "minor" importance that form part of monthly averages as published in the CAA journals (and yes, I do have access to such docs as part of ops for a large carrier!)
Rather than answer a question with a question, would it not be more beneficial to accept a possible fault and look at the causes?

What's the CRM line again...."complacency leads to....." Are you complacent?

lomapaseo
13th Aug 2004, 19:45
I think some folks may be talking by each other with valid points on both sides.

I wouldn't believe that any pilot would minimize a legit safety concern just because they work for the airline in question.

However with that said the aircraft operator's operation/maintenance depts sure does ask these very questions proactively and puts lots of pressure on the manufactures to fix known problems.

Of even more secure feeling is that the airlines flight safety dept (in this case BA) constantly performs "what-ifs" regarding each incident and brings even more pressure to bear on their own operations/ maintenace to take appropriate action.

On the surface I don't see any evidence of a fleet wide safety problem and expect that BA at all levels is watching the situation very carefully.

ETOPS
13th Aug 2004, 19:55
jerrystinger

We have 43 of these machines operating over 30,000 sectors a year and have done so safely since their introduction. The fact that you can only mention 4 events (all handled well by my colleagues) speaks volumes for Boeing and the level of competence within my peer group........

Ontariotech
14th Aug 2004, 00:13
Nuff said!

" " (tounge sticking out in Jerry Stingers direction)

overstress
15th Aug 2004, 20:57
jerrys:

NoD doesn't drive 777s either!

Human Factor
15th Aug 2004, 21:06
Rest assured, if BA 777s were unsafe, I wouldn't be showing up for work as often as I do. ;)