View Full Version : DHL crashed on aproach to CVG

13th Aug 2004, 10:30
Cincinnati local news is reporting a DHL aircraft crashed on a golf course while attempting an aproach to CVG early this morning.

Local news is now reporting the pilot has survived with minor injuries, the co-pilot has not been recovered. Aircraft is reported to be a turbo prop.

13th Aug 2004, 12:18
The story




13th Aug 2004, 14:29
Cargo plane crashes into golf course near airport

FLORENCE, Ky. Police say the pilot is missing and a passenger has been injured in a small cargo plane crash on a golf course in Florence. The statement is taken to mean that the pilot was killed.

Cincinnati-Northern Kentucky Airport spokesman Ted Bushelman says the plane was trying to land at airport when it crashed around one a-m.

The two propeller cargo plane broke apart near some trees lining one of the fairways. The plane was carrying packages for D-H-L when it crashed.



Fatal plane crash

09:04 AM EDT on Friday, August 13, 2004

FLORENCE, Ky. (AP) -- A cargo plane carrying two people crashed early Friday near the Cincinnati/Northern Kentucky International Airport, killing one of two people on board, an airport spokesman said.

Airport spokesman Ted Bushelman said the pilot walked away from the crash and was taken to the hospital. The co-pilot's body was found after daybreak, several hours after the crash, Bushelman said.

Authorities have not identified either person. The plane took off last night from Memphis, Tenn. and crashed around 1 a.m. into a golf course in Florence, Bushelman said. "He was coming in for a landing. It was less than a mile from the runway," he said.

The plane broke apart near some trees lining one of the golf course fairways.

The airplane was flown by Air Tacoma, a central Ohio-based contractor for DHL, Bushelman said.

The FBI was investigating and told local authorities not to touch anything at the crash scene, Bushelman said. Investigators from the National Transportation Safety Board were expected to arrive later Friday.


13th Aug 2004, 14:59

National Transportation Safety Board
Washington, DC 20594

August 13, 2004




WASHINGTON, D.C. - The National Transportation Safety Board
has launched a Go Team to investigate the crash of a cargo
aircraft near Cincinnati, Ohio this morning.

At 12:50 a.m. today, Air Tahoma flight 185, a Convair
580 (NV586P), reported engine trouble before crashing onto a
golf course short of runway 36R of Cincinnati/Northern
Kentucky International Airport. The flight was arriving
from Memphis, Tennessee. According to reports received by the
NTSB, one crewmember was killed in the
crash; the other was reported in serious condition.

Joseph Sedor is the Investigator-in-Charge of the
accident. He is accompanied by a team of 9 investigators.
NTSB Member Carol Carmody is accompanying the team and will
serve as principal spokesperson for the on-scene
investigation. Paul Schlamm is the NTSB press officer, and
two members of the Board's Office of Transportation Disaster
Assistance will provide logistical and family affairs

Buster the Bear
14th Aug 2004, 21:23
From a quick bit of research, this airframe was a really new addition to the Air Tahoma fleet.

Very sad.


Shore Guy
14th Aug 2004, 23:23
Crash investigators release more details


By James Pilcher
Enquirer staff writer

HEBRON - Federal investigators today released more details on Friday's crash of a cargo plane near the Cincinnati/Northern Kentucky International Airport that killed the co-pilot.

But while officials with the National Transportation Safety Board said that the Air Tahoma flight from Memphis appeared completely routine until its final minutes, they did not give any guess as to what brought the Convair 580 down into a Florence golf course just 1.2 miles short of its intended runway.

"It is still only a day and a half after the accident," said safety board member Carol Carmody. "We have recovered quite a bit, but we are not going to speculate on any possible causes."

But investigators did say the crew was heard on the cockpit voice recorder talking about low power from one and then both of the plane's engines. The last radar contact with the plane, more than a mile south of the airport, showed it was moving at what is a Convair 580's normal landing speeding.

The co-pilot was killed in the crash, which occurred at about 12:50 a.m. The pilot was able to walk away and was still being treated today at University Hospital for his injuries.

Neither member of the flight crew, which was based in Memphis, was identified by Air Tahoma as of this afternoon.

Investigators said today that the plane was built in 1967. Carmody also said that the plane, which was used primarily in Europe and had carried cargo its entire career, had undergone a routine maintenance check on Tuesday in Memphis. Investigators were still collecting other records on the plane, an effort made more difficult by the fact that Air Tahoma purchased the plane on July 19.

The Columbus-based cargo carrier contracts with DHL to carry freight between Cincinnati and three cities, including Memphis. DHL operates a major domestic freight hub locally at the Cincinnati airport.

Carmody said investigators held a brief interview with the pilot Friday and planned to debrief him further over the weekend, because he was not able to tell them much initially due to his condition.

She also said investigators were able to review a tape of the conversation between the pilots and air traffic controllers and the cockpit voice recorder recovered soon after the crash.

According to Carmody, the tapes showed that the approach to the airport was normal.

The plane received clearance to land at 12:44 a.m., with no sign of trouble.

Three minutes later, at 12:47 a.m., the pilots indicated they were having engine problems, and the tower responded by asking if the pilots wanted emergency trucks to respond.

Carmody said the pilots told the tower no, saying they indicated that they "were going straight." She said that it had not yet been determined which pilot was controlling the plane.

At that point, the plane's altitude was 2,200 feet and its speed was 150 knots or about 173 mph.

The last radar contact was less than three minutes later, with the air speed at 110 knots or 127 mph and the altitude at 1,200 feet.

Carmody said that a preliminary investigation of the engines showed that they were at "low power," but she declined to characterize that further or whether the power level was normal for a landing.

But the Web site for Prop-Liners of America, a non-profit group based in Hartford, Conn. that exhibits and restores propeller-powered aircraft, lists the typical approach speed for a Convair 580 at 130 knots or 150 mph. It posts 110 knots or 125 mph as the landing speed.

The engines were sent to Indianapolis for further inspection by Allison Engines, which made the power plants and is now a part of Rolls Royce.

Carmody said a preliminary review of the voice recorder indicated that the pilots had conversations about a minor control problem, fuel management, and "low power in one and then both of the engines."

She said both the voice and data recorders quit operating just before impact.

The on-site investigation is expected to conclude Monday. After that, the probe will shift back to Washington with further analysis of the flight data and voice recorders.

15th Aug 2004, 00:17
Investigators said today that the plane was built in 1967. Carmody also said that the plane, which was used primarily in Europe and had carried cargo its entire careerI know the NTSB are not 'anoraks', but the foregoing is wildly inaccurate.
It was built in 1953 as a Convair 440 and converted to a 580 in 1967, so presumably that's what the CofA shows. Before and after conversion it was a passenger-carrier for United, Lake Central and Allegheny. Bought by DHL and placed on the Belgian register in 1987.

Not the journo getting it wrong this time.

15th Aug 2004, 05:26
Wonder if it was fuel related?
This accident reminds me of one UAL (Convair) had in the early sixties.
In that incident, the Captain had been trying to transfer fuel from one tank to another, in complete contravention of instructions in the AFM.
Both engines quit due to fuel starvation, and the aircraft was deadsticked into a carrot patch just north of the SanFernando valley in California, with little damage.
Flown out four days later by a UAL management crew.

The report should be interesting reading.
The 580 is normally a very reliable machine.

21st May 2006, 22:36
NTSB recommendation (http://www.ntsb.gov/recs/letters/2006/A06_39_40.pdf)

22nd May 2006, 03:38
second 580 down in a week, sadly.

Jambo Buana
22nd May 2006, 07:19
What a terrible shame that history was allowed to repeat itself. What about an exam at PPL, CPL and ATPL level that focuses on the history of flight accidents and their causes?
I flew with a FO recently who did not know about the BMI 734 accident in East Midlands! Why, because he wasnt even born. Apart from feeling old, I felt sad that pilots are being born today that will make the same mistakes in 20 years time as those which befall us today! There is a cheap solution though!

22nd May 2006, 07:29
Blimy - you have 17 year old co pilots?

Jenna Talia
22nd May 2006, 07:34

Didn't that accident occur around 1989 - 1990? How old is your F/O? Agree with your concept though.

22nd May 2006, 07:42
err ? $10 mil for a 580, surely more like $ 250k

22nd May 2006, 12:16
I flew with a FO recently who did not know about the BMI 734 accident in East Midlands! Why, because he wasnt even born. Apart from feeling old, I felt sad that pilots are being born today that will make the same mistakes in 20 years time as those which befall us todayI remember this accident, and the conclusions about passenger escape. British Midland (as they were then) took these very much on board, and from shortly afterwards started a very firm part of the passenger briefing about how floor level lights lead to the exit, LOOK at the lights, which were then demonstrated on and off. It was done on every flight. I believe the aircraft received a wiring modification for the cc to achieve this from the briefing station.

In more recent years, guess what, this has all gone from the BMI pax briefing once again. I bet whoever is responsible was not around the airline at the time and does not recall quite why there was the stress on this point.

banana head
22nd May 2006, 12:22
and the conclusions about passenger escape :confused:

I might be mistaken - but I have a feeling you are confusing the Kegworth accident with the Manchester Airtours disaster?? (where the principle conclusions related to fireproofing and passenger egress - and from which came the requirement to have strip floor lighting....)

The Kegworth 734 would have had all of these, and was in fact practically brand new....

22nd May 2006, 13:09
BH :

I don't think I am, and I am aware of the Manchester Airtours 737 fire (effectively a ground fire) as well, where escape was even more relevant. But after the Kegworth (East Midlands) accident B. Mid, who I was using regularly at the time, notably changed their escape briefing. The lighting strip was there all along as you say, but now was very positively pointed out.

24th May 2006, 10:54
Looks like 411a called this one right...almost 2 yrs ago...nice job...