PDA

View Full Version : FAA licence validation -- lead times

BeeBee
13th Aug 2004, 10:17
Hello,

Has anyone gone through the FAA licence validation process recently? Any idea roughly how long it takes between applying to the FAA and being able to go and collect the licence from designated office?

I know all the officially literature says 90 days. But I'll be in the States on business a little earlier than that and was wondering whether it was worth applying now in the hope that it comes through much quicker.

Also, as another question, if you submit your application, then later decide to change your designated office to pick it up from, is that allowed? Or is it a case of you pick one and that's that...

Hen Ddraig
27th Aug 2004, 16:02
Went down this route last year.

Day 1
Faxed application and docs to FAA Oklahoma City
Faxed data release doc to CAA
FAA acknowledged receipt of docs by email

Day 2
CAA charged relase fee to credit card

Day 3
FAA emailed to say all OK. Please allow 7 days for them to pass data to my selected FSDO. (Rochester NY )

Called Rochester FSDO about 3 Weeks later and fixed appointment for 2 days later. The "interview" took about 40 mins, essentially checking that the application form was filled in correctly and checking for typing errors. Walked out with paper Airmans Certificate, the real plastic one arrived at my home address in the UK 90 days later. No cost.

Hen Ddraig

Time to spare, go by air

Classic
29th Aug 2004, 13:53
I completed the whole process by snail mail this spring and had a letter back at home from Oklahoma within 3 weeks. All I had to do then was to call the FSDO in the States to arrange an "interview".

That consisted of them photocopying licence, medical etc and 20 mins later I had a PPL certificate. Everyone, including the CAA (!) was helpful and timely in their responses.

Enjoy!

EGAC_Ramper
29th Aug 2004, 14:04
Indeed I actually got my FAA validation back 2 days ago.Whole process took about 3weeks with said snail mail.Got interview booked well in advance for 2November in the San Diego FSDO.

Regards

chrisbl
30th Aug 2004, 16:43
I went through the process in two weeks as month ago. Faxed the details off to Oklahoma and Gatwick and hey presto my letter from Oklahoma was here within 14 days.

Having gone through the process last year too I am impressed by the service.

The trip to the FSDO was also a breeze but it is the case that one should make an appointment with them rather than just turning up on spec.

Again last year, I visited Miami FSDO made the appointment before leaving the UK and checked that they had the other copy of the letter from Oklahoma.
The day before visiting the FSDO I also reconfirmed the appointment.

There is a form to be submitted the 8710-1.
It also helps if you have the form 8710 filled out in advance you can fill it in and print it from here.

http://forms.faa.gov/forms/faa8710-1.pdf

Unfortunately you cannot save the information to be printed later.

having the formed filled out save about half an hour and the FAA inspectors like you if you save their time.

BeeBee
4th Sep 2004, 20:24
Thank you all for your responses. For info, I ended up sending my application by snail mail to Oklahoma and got a letter back from them within two weeks saying all is good and I can go and book an appointment with my FDSO. I was most impressed, given that I reckon the main reason it took that long was because that's how long Air Mail takes. They probably processed it inside two days. That's fast! :-)

Cuillin
5th Apr 2005, 22:10
Anybody applied for this recently?

How long did it take to get the reply?

I applied 4 weeks ago by snail mail and still have not received anything from Oklahoma City.

UK CAA have deducted my £16-00.

Starting to wonder if the paperwork has reached the US!