PDA

View Full Version : Another reason not to lie on the medical form

av8boy
12th Aug 2004, 17:50
I’m wondering what precipitated this now… The convictions were in 1983 and 1995, and the report says that his statements on the annual form in 1999 through 2003 were the issue. How did this eventually come to light?

Note: OUI=”Operating (a motor vehicle) Under the Influence (of alcohol, etc)”

Press Release
Source: U.S. Attorney
Logan Air Traffic Controller Sentenced For Lying About OUIs, Reports U.S. Attorney
Thursday August 12, 10:02 am ET

BOSTON, Aug. 12 /PRNewswire/ -- A Logan air traffic controller was sentenced yesterday in federal court in connection to his May trial conviction for making false statements about previous OUI convictions on a form he was required to submit each year to the Federal Aviation Administration to remain certified for his job.
United States Attorney Michael J. Sullivan and Theodore L. Doherty, Special Agent in Charge of the U.S. Department of Transportation, Office of the Inspector General in New England, announced that RONALD MYLES HATCH, II, age 49, of Lynnfield, was sentenced by U.S. District Judge Rya W. Zobel to 2 years of probation and a $500 fine. HATCH was convicted by a trial jury on May 19, 2004 of five counts of using a false document knowing it to contain a false statement.

Evidence presented during the three-day trial proved that each year from 1999 through 2003, HATCH made false statements on his annual Federal Aviation Administration medical certification form by stating that there was no change in his conviction history for driving while under the influence. In fact, HATCH had been convicted on two occasions for driving while under the influence, in May of 1983 and July 1995, that he had not disclosed to the FAA.

There was no evidence presented during the trial that HATCH was impaired while working as an air traffic controller.
The case was investigated by the U.S. Department of Transportation's Office of the Inspector General with assistance from the Federal Aviation Administration. It was prosecuted by Assistant U.S. Attorney Sandra S. Bower in Sullivan's Major Crimes Unit.

"Major Crimes Unit?" This gentleman must have really irritated someone. I would understand if he'd simply been fired, but prosecuted by the Major Crimes Unit?

FYI: The warning on the medical form says:
__ Notice __
Whoever in any matter within the jurisdiction of any department or agency of the United States knowingly and willfully falsifies, conceals, or covers up by any trick, scheme, or device a material fact, or who makes any false, fictitious or fraudulent statements or representations, or entry, may be fined up to $250,000 or imprisoned not more than 5 years, or both, (18 U.S. Code Secs. 1001; 3571

Agaricus bisporus
12th Aug 2004, 18:34
Whadya mean "another reason?". Is there more than one?

Professionalism (spelt with a Capital "P") means NOT telling lies. This only proves that this honcho is fundamentally unsuitable to be a member of his profession and he deserves everything that he gets. Good riddance. We have enough things to worry about without having to commit our lives to controllers found to be untrustworthy serial liars, don't we?

av8boy
12th Aug 2004, 18:54
Easy now… I agree with the sentiments regarding professionalism and veracity, but if it were enough to rely upon Professionalism (with either a lower-case or capital “p”), there’d be no reason to put a warning on the form that says that it’s a crime, punishable by hefty fine and lengthy imprisonment to lie. So, yeah. There is more than one reason not to lie. If Professionalism isn’t enough to keep you honest, then be honest because you might lose your job if you’re not. If getting fired isn’t enough to keep you honest, then be honest because you might get a fine and jail time.

I have no problem with the fact that some individuals may tell the truth simply because they are afraid of something bad happening if they lie. Doesn't bother me a bit.

niknak
12th Aug 2004, 22:50
At this level of the "Professional" avaition industry a lot of trust is put in us being honest about ourselves and our own integrity, if you're not, whatever you are attempting to hide will ususally come back to haunt you big style.

In the UK, if this particular individual had been honest in the first place, he probably would have been given recourse to some form of help or counselling.

For whatever reason he chose his own way, he's now paying the price for his lack of integrity and will find it very difficult to get back into the profession.

B Sousa
12th Aug 2004, 23:54
If he got hammered on this it was probably a result of 9/11.
Dont Laugh. Government folks are playing catch-up of all this type of stuff with funds allocated as a result of 9/11. They also have a bit more power to look into things that normally require a warrant.
Further if he had done nothing to draw someones attention, I would bet a wooden nickle that he pissed someone off along the way and that person loosed the hounds. Someone was looking for something to hammer this guy.
Not to say what he did was not wrong, but the odds of it getting through without 9/11 and a dime dropper are good enough to take to Vegas. Seems if the convictions were in 83 and 95 Im probably right.

I guess Acgaricus Bisporis does not drink....or has not yet been caught. DUI/OUI has sort of been like Retractable landing Gear. There are those who have and those who may.

Quod Boy
13th Aug 2004, 00:20
Steady on,I detect a little sanctimony,here.Agreed,to lie over such offences,is at best debatable.There is no suggestion however,he was under the influence whilst controlling,is there.

However,I very much doubt,indeed,that the majority of aviation profesionals,are TRULY honest,in filling their forms,"do you smoke","how many",do you consume alcohol?How much?Ever been to hospital,any family history etc etc.We are as honest as we each professionally feel,obliged to admit.

In this politically correct environment,I doubt,he would have been offered anything as benevolent as "counseling" or guidance,which is the way ahead.He stands a very great chance of being sacked,by people with similar views,and perhaps he knew that,and took a chance,in the belief he has made ammends.

I dont condone his behaviour,I can see there is another view,he took a chance,and it didnt work out.Tough,for him,truly tough.

Im off to the pub.

QB

411A
13th Aug 2004, 03:39
If you hold an FAA pilots license, you must report a DUI conviction separately (within 60 days) from the FAA medical, and on the FAA medical application as well.
This procedure has been in force well before 9-11.
Has caught a few out...and the results of not doing so can be unpleasant indeed.

xyz_pilot
13th Aug 2004, 07:06
Out of interest what happens if you do report a DUI?

Spotlight
13th Aug 2004, 13:04
Good question. Some of the holier than thou's may wish to share their experiences.

411A
13th Aug 2004, 14:46
xyz_pilot,

If you do report the DUI conviction within the sixty day period, nothing much really happens.
It just goes into your record.
However, after the third report/conviction within a specified period (have no idea what this might be), your license can be suspended for an indefinate period.

A few years ago, was in FCO and one of our crew said he had to report to the FAA international field office (at that time located across the street in the US consular building) and surrender his license for a two week period, because he had not sent proper notification to the FAA security division concerned.
He was further told that a third report would automatically suspend his license for an indefinate period.

He held a separate license so the FAA action did not disrupt the crew pattern.

Apparently the FAA is tracking these reported convictions rather closely, so suspect that those who fail to report will have rather large problems.

con-pilot
13th Aug 2004, 15:37
When this DUI mandatory reporting thing came out it scared the crap out of everybody, however, as it has turned out if one reports it within the 60-day period and again the next FAA physical no action is taken.

But, as 411A stated after 3 convictions one can say good-bye to their license for a long time.

Knock on wood I have not had that problem, nor to do I plan to!

Oh yes, one more thing, if you lie about a DUI on ANY Federal document it’s prison time and a big fine.