PDA

View Full Version : Kitfox/Avid Flyer

Max_Gross
12th Aug 2004, 15:06
Where would be a good place to look for one of these attractive little aircraft?
What should I worry about if I was buying one?

Sir George Cayley
13th Aug 2004, 20:41
Crashing

Sir George Cayley

Sensible
13th Aug 2004, 20:48
:} :} :} :}
A sense of humour, so refreshing on these forums as of late!

ozplane
14th Aug 2004, 08:40
Sir George does have a point. In the early stages I believe that they were both uninsurable to do the number of incidents that occurred. Whatever the truth of the matter, the PFA web-site is the starting point and you will find planes for sale and hints on operating them. You may have to join to post on their forum and the PFA does seem to be having some problems recently. Good luck.

Sir George Cayley
14th Aug 2004, 18:59
Both these a/c are very different from the average type of ab initio trainer people learn on theses days.

I've only flown the 'fox and once airborne it was kinsa OK.

History seems to have shown us that lifting off at a low speed can lead to a loss of control especially in a cross wind. This is because the combined aileron/flap system has limited authority at lower speeds.

I guess once pilots learn the trick of coping with this its a doddle.

No-one here would sy a Tiger Moth was a cinch would they?

Sir George Cayley

ozplane
15th Aug 2004, 08:18
I was just looking at a recent copy of the accident summary that comes with GASIL and it shows 3 landing accidents with Kitfoxes in which the u/c was damaged or torn off. Perhaps getting them down is as difficult as taking off?

avidian
15th Aug 2004, 16:59
Max,
I have most experience with the Avid - they are great fun to fly, forgiving and safe handling but are very different from typical club hacks. Being light and ( in the avid case) having quite high wing loadings and relatively high stall speed for their size you need to watch approach speed carefully. ( just like all other aircraft.) Being light ( mine is 503 lb dry) and draggy speed bleeds off *very* quickly. This I think has been a major factor in many of the arrival incidents in the early days. That apart once adjusted to the very light controls and powerful rudder you will have fun. The flaperons ( again in the avid case) are useful in very small amounts for a touch of nose down trim in the cruise, or you can use them to make landings or takeoffs very frightening - stall speed comes back by next to nothing and roll control goes digital ( on or off ). If you want to PM me I can put you in touch with possible sources for these aircraft and inspectors with detailed knowledge of the type.