PDA

View Full Version : Self employed

Flt1
26th Nov 1999, 18:54
I am investigating the oppurtunities of being a self employed flying instructor,working for various flying clubs.

Does any one have experiences of the above.
Demand, Pay rates, The legalities etc.

Airprox
27th Nov 1999, 14:45
Quite a few flying schools I've worked at prefer you to be self employed, but still expect you to teach soley at their school (even if they have no flying for you). They just want to get the benifits of an employed instructor with out having to pay the extras (ie employers NI). I have a friend (who has since hung up his wings) who was self employed (as every instructor is at this flight center), one particular day his normal school didn't need him so a rival school asked him to work for them for the day instead which he did. His normal school 'sacked'?? him for not being loyal to the flight center???
If you know the answer send it on a post card to blah blah blah.
Money, schools will pay what ever they want self employed or not. Of course it depends on how desperate they are, but watch they will still try it on.

The only plus side to being self employed is that you can claim back tax on material, courses etc which you need for your company. But do it right and get advise.

Good luck...

straight&level
27th Nov 1999, 23:23
I have in the past worked on a self employed basis for a flying school.Initially I had problems with the man from the national insurance office (two of them turned up at my parents house demanding to see me when I was working 200 miles away) however the tax man readily accepted my position as self employed and the NI then followed suite.Get yourself a good accountant,mine cost about £150 for the year but he did an excellent job.All my training the previous year was offset against my tax and in my first year I earnt c£10K and didnt need to pay any tax.

At that time I got £10 per hour but that was some years ago.

Being self employed worked for me however there was of course no security if your main source of work dissapears as mine did.

Good Luck.