PDA

View Full Version : FI course

vetflyer
9th Apr 2000, 05:29
Any comments or experience of FI course at Bonus Avation or RFC
Thanks

vetflyer
11th Apr 2000, 01:57
does this imply no comment or no interest?

inyoni
11th Apr 2000, 05:04
Dave Coulson at Bonus has a good reputation, I did a renewal with him a couple of years ago after having let my rating lapse for nearly 5 yrs and gained a great deal from him a both instructor and as a person. Having said that I did my initial SE, ME & night at Leavesden with Pete Godwin and again he is very good and very experienced as well as highly qualified.
I have not flown with Lindsay Brown over at RFC, but he is very good and has a good rep. Lindsay's real problem is time! He is a thoroughly likeable fellow and most people speak highly of him.
Eitherway I reckon you should be in good hands. Dave Coulson's about the best to get you through the fastest - but be advised you need to fit in with him. Read the 'Rules of Dave's Dungeon' posted up in the lecture room by yours truly and if you follow them you'll be fine.
Good luck and enjoy it whoever you choose.

Wee Weasley Welshman
13th Apr 2000, 11:44
Dave Coulson can be a miserable swine. However, he is very very good and works very very hard. If you can get on with him then he is a good bet at Bonus. I did a course with him a while back.

vetflyer
14th Apr 2000, 23:36
WWW care to suggest have to avoid the miserable side?

212man
15th Apr 2000, 01:11
Interesting, I was just about to post a thread asking about Bonus, as I wish to do the 15 hour GFT brush up course(ATPL/IR(H) wants ATPL(A)) and a FW IR.

Looks promising so far. Often people perceived as grumpy are merely pedantic and perfectionists.

------------------
Another day in paradise

inyoni
15th Apr 2000, 02:09
Vetflyer/212man
The grumpiness can be cured by the following: liberal libations/donations of Bells Sherbet(after passing test 1st time), showing up on time, being patient (if you get there at eight, don't complain if you wait all day - he will fly with you). Make a coffee as follows: Microwave a mug of milk and two sugars until it just comes to the boil and then stir in a heaped spoon of Nescafe and place in his large mitt - you will see a big smile on his face after that! If you do these simple things you will proceed to the top of the class.
And by the way the 'Ye Rules of Dave's Dungeon' are:
Rule 1 - Dave is unvariably correct
Rule 2 - If in doubt - refer rule one
Rule 3 - (the most important) When Dave give's advice on tests,jobs and such, listen and 'Zip thy Lip'.
If you go to there - give him my best! (he'll know from the foregoing who I am!)

[This message has been edited by inyoni (edited 14 April 2000).]

212man
15th Apr 2000, 02:18
Thanks!

Just to confirm, I wasn't being critical, quite the reverse. Often the complainers are gash amateurs along for an easy ride.

------------------
Another day in paradise

inyoni
15th Apr 2000, 03:27
212man
You're spot on there about the 'com-planers', they expect everything on a plate. Two years ago just about every I had in terms of licenses nearly lapsed. Dave got me thru' my instructors in 5 hours after having not flown for nearly 5 years! I worked under Dave for a while and went onto a good job. Nothing wrong with Bonus, but the Instructor's pay really. I learnt a lot from Dave and enjoyed his company - under the grumpy facade there's a man with a big heart!

vetflyer
15th Apr 2000, 12:18
thanks inyoni I was going to ask about dave's rules