PDA

View Full Version : Land's End rental?

140cherokee
12th Aug 2004, 09:04
Does anyone have contact details for the flying school at Land's End. Any idea of their fleet?

Tried searching for a web site. Found Perranporth's, but nothing for Land's End.

S-Works
12th Aug 2004, 09:26
I am a member down there as I have a house locally. The club allows rentals. You have to join and have a one hour checkout flight with the very intimidating CFI Sheila!!

They have a number of the usual fleet spam cans, 152 and a warrior as I recall.

The club is very friendly and theer prices are competative.

Be warned though, the Cornish weather is VERY unpredictable and the aerodrome is difficult to find and has a LOT of runways very close together and it is easy to align yourself with the wrong runway. I have flown out of there many times in perfect sunshine without a cloud in the sky and returned an hour later in pouring rain and 600ft cloud base.

The hopper flights run in and out of there to the scillies and they land and take off on the most conveniant runway to them which can quite often be straight accross your nose!

I will post the phone numbers and emails this evening.

Gertrude the Wombat
12th Aug 2004, 17:06
I tried to book the PA28 last year I think it was. They will only allow it to fly with three people in it, and didn't tell me until after I'd arrived in Cornwall that it was being mended that week anyway.

They also have a 172 which they don't rent out.

duncanindevon
2nd Sep 2004, 07:43
Land's End flying club fleet consists of two C152s, a taildragger C150 and a PA28-140. There is, as mentioned, an FR172F but this is used for the commercial scenic flying, therefore not available for hire.

Yes, Skybus's Islanders and Twin Otters do often use different runways but, being scheduled commercial traffic, all of their movements do take place only when an Air Traffic Control service is available (working hours, Mon to Sat).

The weather can be unpredictable at times, but to compensate, the scenery is pretty fantastic...

The club's number is (01736) 788771.

DinD.