PDA

View Full Version : ils missed approach

vh-cpp
8th Feb 2000, 00:29
on an ILS approach, when MUST you execute a missed aproach, at more than half scale deflection of the localizer cdi or at full deflection

Weed
8th Feb 2000, 04:03
Interesting question. The answer is half scale deflection, but I can't actually find that written down anywhere. The closest thing that I can find (in Australian documents)is in CAO 40.2.1 section 3.5, tolerances for approaches during an instrument rating test. Can anybody do better?

One common sense point here. When flying any approach, there should be no SUSTAINED errors in excess of the permitted tolerance. If you go outside the permitted tolerance, briefly and then smoothly and using good technique bring the aircraft back within tolerance again, no problem. A sustained excursion beyond tolerance or even uncontrolled tracking within tolerance should be followed immediately by a missed approach and another go.

fromwayback
8th Feb 2000, 09:17
Good question!!!

Australian answer..

A missed approach must be executed under only certain conditions which this is not one. However, unless within 1/2 scale deflection descent must not take place. If you go outside 5 degrees of the inbound track then your LSALT is at risk and you need to climb to MSA. An ILS is only 2& 1/2 degrees. I would suggest if you go to full scale climb to at least MSA until you regain track and then try to get down again!!! No more than 1000ft /min.....

ozpilot
8th Feb 2000, 22:13
Well, from my CIR test (Aust), anymore than half-scale deflection (sustained) and you'll have to go back and do another one. Can't say for sure where it is explicitly stated as such though.

class-e
9th Feb 2000, 04:46
It would really depend whereabouts you are on the ILS!!!

Most ILS's start at 10 DME, ATC will usually bring you to the start point of the ILS and then clear you from there.If by 8DME you are full scale deflection on either LLZ or CDI, then I would suggest that you start climbing away and trying again!!!

If you are at 2 DME, you will find that the needles go too fast to try to re-intercept.At this point you will be very close to the ground, and probably very close to the Mapt anyway!!!

Bottom line????if you let the needles go to full scale deflection during an ILS....you shouldn't be flying the bloody thing to start with !!!!

George Semel
17th Feb 2000, 08:09
I don't know about the rest of you but a one and a half dot deflection on the CDI inside the outermarker is a missed approach. I will look it up in my books. Oh that was the amount of deflection I had in a DC-9 sim the other day. I get to apply again in 6mo. anything more that a 2 degree course correction at a time inside the outer marker is to much, five degrees out side the outer marker in the normal procedure that we teach here in the states.

4dogs
20th Feb 2000, 04:14
Folks,

There are two issues: safety and competency demonstration.

Safety demands a missed approach when the position of the aircraft within protected airspace can no longer be assured or when the corrective manoeuvring required may lead to exceeding aircraft limits, disorientation, flying out of protected airspace or positioning the aircraft such that it cannot safely complete the required landing procedure. Full scale deflection means you are lost anytime and a large heading correction close to DA/DH may mean you cannot safely land. Similarly, more than 1/4 scale deflection may prevent you from safely completing a Cat II landing.

Demonstration of competence set limits for the issue of instrument ratings, type ratings or certificates of proficiency for T&C requirements. 1/2 scale deflection is the line drawn in the sand to indicate whether the candidate is able to cope both physically and mentally with the task as presented at the time - it is not, of itself, a safety issue. However, if the candidate is not able to reasonably remain within the competency limit, then the safety buffer is likely to be eroded.

Much is revealed by a decision to continue with a destabilised approach. It is also common for candidates to subvert the aim of the exercise: the aim is not to achieve just the minima, it is to be able to safely complete the landing.

------------------
Stay Alive,

[email protected]