PDA

View Full Version : jobs market

luvly jubbly
5th Feb 2000, 00:25
How's the jobs front looking in the UK for instructors over the next 12 months??

There was talk of a shortage once all the self improvers gain their CPLs.
However, with the airlines not exactly dragging low timers out of the schools, I was thinking of doing a couple of years instructing prior to I/R.

Looks like October, at the earliest, before I can start getting CPL & FI(R) done.

Capt Homesick
5th Feb 2000, 06:48
There's always a need for instructors in the summer, for the RAF Flying Scholarship contract. Expect about 80-100 hours per month, on terrible pay, but with seriously motivated students. Great fun for as long as you can stand it.
I found instructing a big help with airline flying- maybe not in terms of a/c handling (the jump from PA28 to BAe146 was quite interesting) but a definite help in terms of situational awareness. It's also a relatively cheap way of ensuring that your flying skills stay current while you look for that first airline job.
For info on teaching the Flying Scholarship scheme, you could speak to Tayside Aviation, the prime contractor. They do a quite high standard AFI course, and will try to fit you in as an instructor, at least while the FS cadets are there. I did my training there, and then taught there on and of for three years. 01382 644372
BTW, I don't own shares! Email me if I can help.

StudentInDebt
7th Feb 2000, 04:46
Speaking from my own personal experience later in the year is a good time to start doing CPL/FI training cause the schools aren't too busy, you get to train in difficult weather sometimes (get used to it I'm told - when you're instructing you can't afford not to!!), and when you've finished the flying season will be just about to start so there should be a few vacancies to be had.