PDA

View Full Version : Licences

markham320
11th Aug 2004, 13:41
Hello, I am currently studying for the JAA PPL(A). I was wondering if I could continue studying for some sort of Instructor Licence, to get more hours like that.

My question is, does an Instructor Licence exist, having the PPL only, and is it worth it?

Thanks

MCM

Obs cop
12th Aug 2004, 07:21
markham,

Yes you can instruct on a PPL, but you need the following:

1. 300 hours total time,
2. To have demonstrated the knowledge level of a CPL (ie. take the CPL exams).
3. Complete an FI(R) course.

I would suggest that all of the above requirements are aimed at those recreational flyers who want to instruct and pass on their experience rather than gain hours or get paid. The cost of setting out on achieving all of the above is more than going through the modular route of obtaining a CPL with FI(R).

In effect if you were a seasoned flyer with 300 hours already in the bag then yes it is worth it, but in oyur position I would suggest not.

Regards

Obs cop

SuperGuppy
12th Aug 2004, 07:24
There is a requirement for a minimum number of hours before you can commence an instructors course (currently 200 hours total with 150 hrs PIC if on a PPL or 200 hours total with 100 PIC if on an ATPL/CPL). Check out LASORS on the CAA web site for full details of the requirements.

It is possible to obtain an instructor rating on a PPL but you are not allowed to be paid for flight training. For this you must hold at least a CPL.

I am guessing here but I would imagine that you would fall foul of the regulations if trying to instruct for free on a PPL. If I remember correctly, you're not legally allowed to do more than share the costs with another pilot so you would still end up having to pay for the flying.

Also, it may not go down too well with the 'salaried' instructors at a club or similar if you were to start offering 'free' instruction.

Basically (IMHO) a CPL is a minimum requirement if you want to build hours by instructing.

markham320
12th Aug 2004, 07:37
Thank you very much.

Mark

Noggin
12th Aug 2004, 13:19
- you're not legally allowed to do more than share the costs with another pilot so you would still end up having to pay for the flying." I am guessing here!

Quite clearly! and mixing up regulations too.

The student pays for the flight, the aircraft is public transport so its quite legal to hire, the school get their cut, the instructor just doesn't get paid for the flight.

There are a number of PPL instructors; some traditional aeroclubs don't pay their instructors anyway.

The point is that the requirements to get a FI rating are such that there is often little point in not completing the CPL unless you really don't need it.

Microlight instructors operate on a PPL! and get paid.