PDA

View Full Version : What do you need to get a airline job

AV8 consultants
2nd Feb 2000, 03:23
Ok here's the story. I am an Australian 37 year old male, a grade three flight instructor who needs to get ATPL plus an instrument rating, but who will not fork out the cash to do so if airlines think I am "over the hill". I have 530 hrs total time, a degree in aviation and a teaching diploma. Is there any hope for me of an airline job in the near future either in the US or UK? What do I need to get it? If there is a definite chance money is not an object (I may lose a girlfriend though!)as I want to be flying full time, not part time as I am currently doing.
Am I destined to be a flight instructor on low pay for the rest of my life? I like my job at the moment but realistically it does not pay the mortgage.

Please help

------------------

Checkboard
2nd Feb 2000, 09:19
If you study (and pay for) the ATPL licence, you might never be employed as an airline pilot.

If you don't study for the ATPL licence you will definitely never be employed as an airline pilot.

Does that make it any easier?

AV8 consultants
3rd Feb 2000, 02:26
Checkboard, thanks for the words of wisdom but I need something more convincing and helpful.

[This message has been edited by AV8 consultants (edited 02 February 2000).]

StinkyPete
3rd Feb 2000, 09:28
I agree with checkboard.Unless you get a CIR and an ATPL you will never have a chance of flying anything big, whether that be airlines or otherwise. If you are content with instructing then don't do a CIR and ATPL, but, if you do want more then you will have to take a gamble and pay for the training. You never know when a job will come up with a requirement for a CIR and ATPL.

Stiff Under Carriage
3rd Feb 2000, 09:49
Sorry AV8, but checkboard is right, but why don't you start to phone the airlines themselves - find out there requirements and suggestions on what to do. BUT you WILL have to fork out the money for these courses, there is no doubt about that.....

You might also want to consider a job that will increase you hours, I know of a least three airlines that have a minimum of +500hrs IN COMMAND, and they ALL require ATPL Theory passes. Unfortunately you might have age working against you, but again phone the airlines to confirm what I have said..

GOOD LUCK!!

[This message has been edited by Stiff Under Carriage (edited 03 February 2000).]

Capt Homesick
5th Feb 2000, 06:38
AV8, there are jobs in the UK at the moment, but not as many as last year. Thanks to the demise of Debonair and AB, there are still quite a few unemployed, jet-experienced pilots out there (until 4 days ago, I was one of them).
There SHOULD continue to be some jobs, but you have to take into account the time and expense involved in getting a UK licence. Under JAA, the exams allegedly became a lot more difficult, and they were no walk in the park to begin with. (Do you think, in ten years or so, wannabes will look back and wish they could have it as easy as we did under the CAA?)
It's only worth the effort if you have the right to live and work in the EU. You will face a certain amount of flak from people who think you are stealing their jobs, but that is a minority view.
A lot of companies are planning a lot of expansion, but a slump in the economy could put a major spanner in the works. No sign of one at the moment, but it is a possibility that must be considered. At 37, you are not too old to get a job, but you will not have many attempts.
Having said all that, only you can answer the question: succeed or not, if you don't even try, will you be able to look yourself in the eye in the shaving mirror in 5 years time? If the answer is yes, fair enough, probably not worth the considerable strife involved. If not, better hit the books!
Good luck, whatever you decide.
PS: what you really need to get that first airline job is to be in the right place at the right time. I got lucky (eventually): I phoned the company on the day they decided to start interviewing the following week. Make as many contacts as possible, and keep in touch with them.

[This message has been edited by Capt Homesick (edited 05 February 2000).]

Airprox
7th Feb 2000, 01:26
LUCK

fromwayback
7th Feb 2000, 07:59
Are you also considering Australia for the airlines??

AV8 consultants
7th Feb 2000, 08:17
Originally posted by fromwayback:
Are you also considering Australia for the airlines??
Yes I would. Would I have a chance though?
AV8