PDA

View Full Version : Going foreign - farm strip help?

stiknruda
10th Aug 2004, 22:08
Intend to visit la belle France next week on business.

Last time I went from my strip to Lydd, where I cleared and was virtually given free fuel before routing to Le2K and clearing. I returned via Lydd, did Customs and immigration and paid loads for fuel.

Have just read Pilot magazine's article published spring this year and it makes no mention of the requirements for C&E notification for a flight back into a private strip. I can easily go Le2K to home farmstrip.

Outbound I intend to lob into Lydd and fill up.
What do I need to do to return LFAT DCT home?
If I can't then no problems, I'll lob into Lydd again.

Thanks

Stik

Fly Stimulator
10th Aug 2004, 23:27
Alors, c’est très facile!

All you need to do on the UK side if you're returning to your own strip is to inform Customs four hours before your planned arrival.

You can use the GENDEC form (see these pdf (http://www.theflyingschool.co.uk/gen-aviation-rep.pdf) or Word (http://www.theflyingschool.co.uk/GAReportform.doc) versions) or you can simply ring them up on +44 870 785 3600 and give them the details of your return. They've always been very helpful when I've done that. You can even email them at [email protected]

Lydd is good for VAT-free fuel. If you can be bothered with the paperwork then doing a normal drawback claim will let you get money back on everything in your tanks as opposed to just the fuel you buy at Lydd, but I tend to feel that life's too short for the difference to be significant and so simply go for the VAT-free option.

Drop into the aero club too - a friendly spot with comfy chairs and usually a pot of coffee on the boil.

stiknruda
11th Aug 2004, 05:19
Thank you FS - just what I needed.

Life is too short for all that paperwork, I agree! I'll arrive at Lydd on fumes and upload an astonishing 95litres to full tanks!

Stik

Monocock
11th Aug 2004, 07:15
I head straight back to the strip when I return from France. As long as you are not there early it's fine.

They need to know two hours before though I believe.

P.S Make sure you explain what the "ZZZZ" is in the remarks section of the flight plan and ideally give a Lat and Long for it too.

Good luck.

formationfoto
11th Aug 2004, 08:54
That is my understanding. Give the boys and girls with the rubber gloves and sniffer dogs four hours notice and they wont turn up unless it is a bank holiday and they need the overtime.

Johnm
11th Aug 2004, 17:18
My understanding is that you must send the GENDEC to Customs AND IMMIGRATION if you are coming in from the EU and give them both NOT LESS THAN four hours notice.

I usually get ops at the airfield I'm leaving from to send it or send it myself before departure. Pick a time so that you can be sure not to arrive early. Arriving a bit late is fine.