PDA

View Full Version : Do you use your own headset for airline flying?

BigAir
10th Aug 2004, 21:20
Just wandering how many people out their use their own headset for airline flying - from searching I have seen a lot of guys use the Sennheiser HMEC45KA, but do any of you guys use an ear-muff type headset like the BOSE X or Flightcom Denali ANR or a DC?

The reason for asking is that I have about 20 flights left to do in a Seneca before doing my IR, but my School Peltor puts pressure underneath my ear giving me headaches after flights longer than about 1hr, plus the noise from the dodgy door seals grinds me after a while as well. Anyway, was in a pilot shop today and tried the BOSE and Flightcom ANR sets and was amazed at the difference so want one, but if I end up airline flying would I ever use it as they are very expensive to buy with only a few trips left to do?

So does anyone use their own ear-muff type ANR headset for airline flying?

thanks in advance

BigAir

POL.777
10th Aug 2004, 23:36
On turboprops - maybe (know an ATR driver that uses his own David Clark) However you probably need to re-equip the headset in order to connect it...

I wouldn't know though, since I am a jobseeking looser fresh outa school :{

Capt Claret
11th Aug 2004, 01:13
BigAir

I use a 10-15yr old DC H10-80 in a 146 (5yrs) and DH8 (5yrs) before that.

The Telex sets the co. provide are not noise attenuating at all, and after early years in pistons with no hearing protection I miss too much on the radio without it (noise attenuation).

I'm currently investigating a replacement, the front runners are the Bose Aviation X and Sennheiser HMEC 300 or 400.