PDA

View Full Version : PA-46 New Hampshire well done!

av8boy
10th Aug 2004, 18:22
In today's FAA incident reports there was one in particular that caught my eye:

ACFT SHORTLY AFTER DEPARTURE PILOT BECAME INCAPACITATED, DAUGHTER CONTACTED BOSTON TRACON AND WITH THE HELP OF THE CONTROLLER, RETURNED TO AIRPORT AND LANDED WITHOUT INCIDENT, LACONIA, NH

PA-46 Malibu, Malibu Mirage
N9132V
LACONIA, NH
So I dug a little further. Here's the local newspaper report:
http://www.theunionleader.com/articles_showa.html?article=42036

The daughter in question is in her 30's and "...was not a licensed pilot and had limited experience piloting an airplane. She was not prepared to handle the complicated controls of the Piper Malibu..." If I read this right, she became the aircraft commander 15 or so miles from the airport.

Apparently, not a scratch on the airframe nor the humans within! The article speculates on CO2 problems, but that remains to be examined. The father is alive and in hospital, but no word on condition nor on what precipitated this event.

I LOVE happy endings!

Dave :ok:

broadreach
10th Aug 2004, 23:43
Definitely well done! And a great happy ending, assuming her dad will be ok after a spell in hospital. Congratulations to the young lady and to those who talked her down.

Yes, maybe she's had 20 years sitting beside her dad in all sorts of aircraft. But an unexpected solo in a twin, with problems, would be a major challenge.

Congratulations also to staff reporter Carol Robidoux and her paper for reporting facts as she was able to gather them rather than "miraculous escape", "near death" etc. How refreshing.

Astronomy Dominie
11th Aug 2004, 06:50
A minor point, but the PA-46 is not a twin...

Piper PA-46 Malibu (http://www.airliners.net/info/stats.main?id=315)

Again, well done...

FWA NATCA
11th Aug 2004, 15:57
Luckily the air traffic controller on duty was familiar with that type of aircraft and was able to talk her down. An all around great job by the controller and the daughter of the pilot.

Mike
NATCA FWA