PDA

View Full Version : Youngest Instructor at 22??

ShotOne
20th Nov 1999, 03:53
Just seen a TV feature about a very pleasant young lady who is claimed to be the youngest flying instructor in the UK. While wishing her all the best etc, I find it hard to believe that there are no instructors around aged less than 22 years. Replies to Granada TV...

Squealing Pig
20th Nov 1999, 08:18
youngest at 22 ????? I know somone who started instructing at 19!

Loc-out
20th Nov 1999, 09:34
I was instructing at 20 but not in the UK. Quite a few started younger than I.

Brakes to Park
20th Nov 1999, 12:26
Maersk Air has a CRJ Captain who is 24. Good on you Martin!!!

Rockwell
20th Nov 1999, 13:02
Not having seen the said TV item and what was actually transmitted by the media, it looks like the important word 'female' has been omitted in the report.

A check with the current CAA FCL database will confirm that the young lady is the youngest FEMALE flying instructor in the UK. She currently has a frozen ATPL and is hours building at the Manchester School of Flying based at Manchester Airport.

Wee Weasley Welshman
20th Nov 1999, 13:47
I know someone who knows her. Apparently she is ex-Monarch something ot other and when she has all her ducks lined up then its off back to Monarch as flightcrew.

I was an instructor on Military Motor Gliders when I was 19. 19 year old teaching 16 year olds to fly. Scary!

Luke SkyToddler
20th Nov 1999, 14:23
We had one at my old school who was 18, and looked all of 12. Scary thing was, he didn't even have his car driver's licence. His mum used to drop him off at work every morning. He was trying to grow a goatee to make himself look a bit older but he couldn't even do a decent job of that. Not surprisingly he found it difficult to persuade students to take him seriously let alone fly with him, I think he gave it up after a year or so.

BoeingBoy
20th Nov 1999, 16:06
I passed my AFI rating two days before my 20th birthday, and was a jet Captain at 30.

And I still can't get it right !. :)

Girl Flyday
20th Nov 1999, 16:31
I know her quite well as she did her AFIC at Ravenair - she's great, and yes, she used to be a Monach 'hostie'.

So good for her... I wish I'd got into this flying business at her age rather than mine!

Capt Crash
20th Nov 1999, 16:46
There is an instructor at SFT, Rob who looks 19. Saying that he is bloody good, as are all SFT instructors.

------------------
WHOOP WHOOP
PULL UP!!!!!!

Pin Head
20th Nov 1999, 21:59
My stats;

Got FATPL at 20, AFI at 20 too. Plus studied at Uni at same time and graduated this summer. Now instructing full time and looking for first job.

Age 22, 750hrs TT, Marketing graduate.

bluee
20th Nov 1999, 22:43
Na thats not young I know 5 guys who have been instructing sice they were 18 try and beat that !!!

Groover
20th Nov 1999, 23:04
Gained Froz ATPL @ 18.
First commercial job @ 20.
Now 21, 850Hrs TT.

If U get the oppurtunity take it man !!!!

DarrenMoore
20th Nov 1999, 23:32
22????
I'll bet anyone £10 that I become an instructor before I am 22.
Anyone willing to take me on with that bet?
Darren

------------------
We are pleased to have some of the best flight attendants in the industry... Unfortunately none of them are on this flight

DarrenMoore
20th Nov 1999, 23:40
May I just say that the bet mentioned above is open to any PPRuNer.
This could either make me a lot or lose a lot of money, :)
approx 8000PPruNers have the bet with me, that's a gain of or loss of £80000. :) :) :)
Darren

E cam
21st Nov 1999, 02:33
I was instructing @ 19, self-improver CPL/IR at 21. Not much improvement since!

G-SPOT
21st Nov 1999, 04:33
There is a young lady about to pass the FI course at Leeds who is 20 yrs old.

She started when she was 15 aparently!!

w.wang
21st Nov 1999, 05:51
I was instructing at 22 in china.
I got my CPL in UK 1994.
My TT is 3600hrs(3300hrs instructing).
I'm looking for a new job.Anyone have a good idea? E-MAIL me!

OVC
21st Nov 1999, 16:18
Yeah, start instructing Air China pilots how to fly their Airbuses....

DicksonsCider
21st Nov 1999, 17:02
Man,is this a brag thread or what??
Why dont we all just type in our F@#&ing CV's??!!!
Dont you get sick of that with all those job applications?

Wee Weasley Welshman
21st Nov 1999, 23:18
Oooooohhhhhh - handbags at fifty paces DicksonsCider !!!!

I don't think anyone is bragging but even if they were I think a bit of pride in ones professional achievements is healthy.

Dammit I get fed up with people mumbling about "only being an instructor" or hastily adding that they will be looking to join an airline soon.

Straighten your back man and look 'em in the eye. I've been an instructor for a few years now and I'm damn proud of it.

Charlie Foxtrot India
22nd Nov 1999, 13:12
So what?

Many of us would have been doing what we're doing much earlier in life if we hadn't had to go out into the world, go to uni, get some qualifications, and work hard to earn the money first.

Access to the necessary funds at an early age doesn't necessarily make you a better pilot. There's a lot to be said for maturity and people skills learned in the big wide world, especially in instructing.

Don't forget those people who have held down several jobs for several years to pay for it all, whilst studying for exams and trying to fit it all into leave from work and other commitments; things that the lucky younger ones with the means to pay for it don't have to consider.

Sour grapes? Yeah, maybe. I couldn't afford my first flying lesson until I was 26.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Charlie Foxtrot India (edited 22 November 1999).]

Christopher Smith
23rd Nov 1999, 22:47
I have also heard of a young guy who jumped into the right hand seat on the DC-9 with BMA when he was 19. He got his command with Virgin on the 747 classic when he was 25.

I have heard of people instructing when they were 18, many of them flying bigger and better things now!!!!

Quite a tough act to follow!!!!!!!!

Happy flying everyone!!!!

'AEROWASP' HELICOPTERS
24th Nov 1999, 17:14
On the other end of the spectrum, I just issued a helicopter licence to a chap who just turned 71!
Talk about 'old dogs and new tricks'!
Good onya Jim! Way to go!

Wee Weasley Welshman
24th Nov 1999, 23:35
There's a chap at my school did his PPL after his 80th birthday and very good he is as well. Handled a recent emergency very well in point of fact.

Airprox
25th Nov 1999, 23:39
I started instructing when I was 20 loved every minute of it. I taught students ranging from RAF cadets at 16 years to my oldest student of 72. I'm now flying jets with the airlines and keep my currency on my dads plane, but I loved every minute of it, it made moving onto the larger a/c easyer for me than for the 250hr guys. Unfortunately my current company won't let me instruct part time - Real bummer!!

chestnut girl
4th Dec 1999, 03:43
I know of one Instructor who at 22 is CP and CFI of a school doing over 3000 hours per year. Not bad,eh?

StudentInDebt
4th Dec 1999, 23:25
3000 hours per year? Thats an average of 8 hours for every day of the year! I personally would classify that as bad!

HungryPilot
5th Dec 1999, 19:03
As long as we are all bragging!

I got my CPL/IR ME and CFII at 18. Am now 20 with 2000 tt, 950 as QFI, 1000 me, and 800 turbine.

Beat that!

chestnut girl
6th Dec 1999, 05:37
Perhaps I should qualify my last message. This man is 22, has over 2000 hours, is Chief Flying Instructor, Chief Pilot and Testing Officer for the School which does all training up to and including Instructor Training. I think that's not all that bad.

AUST
6th Dec 1999, 18:06
I think every here deserves a HERO FAX.

good work.

apache
6th Dec 1999, 18:15
whats next?

we all unzip our pants and compare size?

22 is (IMHO) old to just qualify as an instructor.

I could tell you my hours and feats of achievement.......but I won't.

Localiser
7th Dec 1999, 16:39
Apache,

Your kind of attitude is just the one that irritates every flying instructor:

Quote: "..to qualify JUST as a flying instructor"

Secondly - why is 22 too old to qualify? Read CFIs post earlier in this thread, he didn't have his first lesson until the age of 26!

Just get a life.

Swamp
7th Dec 1999, 18:17
Localiser, I don't think that apache meant to demean instructors with his inclusion of the word "JUST" in his sentence. I think he was referring to this particular girls very late start as an instructor...(she was JUST starting out).

What a crazy thread anyhow. Everybody would be instructing at 18 if they had the money. By boasting about starting early you are bloating about spending Mommy's and Daddy's money. Starting late at least suggests that you made some of the money yourself. I know this isn't always the case so don't go boasting now about the fact that you started instructig at 18 and made all the money yourself as well...

Wee Weasley Welshman
7th Dec 1999, 19:14
I am suprised everybody is so touchy about this subject. Its hardly a boast to have got a rating at a particular age as we all have that rating. Nothing wrong with being proud of that fact though.

It is a dangerous trap to think that everybody who trains young does so with parental money. It is possible to work from age 16 you know and pay your own way...

Happy flying,

chestnut girl
8th Dec 1999, 04:33
Well said WWW. We have many young men and women who are either working full time or spend many hours working after school or at weekends so they can pay for their flying lessons. Very few are paid for by parents and those that are usually are not as motivated as those who work hard to pay for lessons. The man I spoke about worked for and paid for his flying lessons from a very young age

apache
8th Dec 1999, 09:21
LOCALISER....you ignorant git!!!

DO NOT EVER twist my words around into some other meaning!I have a wife who does a fine job of that thank you very much!

I did NOT say "to qualify just as a flight instructor"
I said "to just qualify as an instructor"

The difference is that one is derogative to that fine fraternity of brother and sisters that teach...the other is a remark on the fact that a lot of people qualify for entry to this fraternity and 22 is nowadays reasonably late to have just qualified!

Do you know the difference between land and landing?

AUST
8th Dec 1999, 18:48
whogivesa.

Fast Erect
10th Dec 1999, 23:11
I was issued an ATPL at the age of nine, and have an enormous manservant.
So there

Fast Erect
10th Dec 1999, 23:19
Oh....and an IR at twelve

[This message has been edited by Fast Erect (edited 10 December 1999).]

RH60YR
10th Dec 1999, 23:21
My dad's bigger than your dad

luvly jubbly
12th Dec 1999, 11:09
I started instructing as a foetus!

Anyway, back to the original topic. The young lady in question was featured in one of the flying mags recently. She's an ex Monarch FA. Trained at MAN, and claims to be the youngest FEMALE instructor in the UK.

------------------
"Visual with the Fokker on Final"

Wee Weasley Welshman
12th Dec 1999, 13:19
Well being a Methodist Welsh Hindu I was an instructor in a previous life - taught Douglas Bader I did.

Dirty Stall
12th Dec 1999, 17:52
Yes ... enough comparing sizes and back to the original thread.
Having met said instructor during her Instrucor training, hard not to be impressed by her enthusiasm and determination. Nice to see someone self funded making such good progress.
P.S. I might be a sad old twisted git, but does make me chuckle when these young 509'ers complain about having to instruct, after spending £ 50,000 of their parents hard earned money !