PDA

View Full Version : Aust/NZ Instructors in Malaysia??

ozpilot
20th Nov 1999, 18:01
Is there anyone out there who has worked, or knows someone, at the Malaysian Flying Academy in Melaka?

I am interested in job information such as pay, conditions etc. Any info anyone has would be really appreciated.

------------------

ah
21st Nov 1999, 09:37
DO NOT DO IT!!!!!
I have worked there, a aussie I might ad. Worked there for 12 months out of the 2 yr contract and had to leave.

pay when i was there was, ringitt 3300, but after tax got 2700ish, that included a ringgit500 allowance for housing, which will get you a rat ridden shoebox.

you get a very generous (sic) rm700 relocation allowance, contract will also say you get a 13th month, but that hasnt happened for years.

When I was there a Capt Khashav, a indian ****** was the principle of the school, and he has no idea of how to run the place, and will spend his whole time yelling at you, and asking to have inquiries and board meetings. He is still running the place as no one esle wants the job. Basically he has run the place into the ground. Before I was there they had some 30ish student, after 3 months of him at the helm they were back to 6 students, and thats how it stayed all year.

They promise lots but give nothing in return, as a flying instructor you will be under the cfi capr Zull, hes a nice guy, malay, and knows his stuff, but is very frustrated at management, which is very understandable. planes are good , but mostly unservicable, they have only warriors and 2 senecas, half of them are hanger queens, and area u/s.

Also they have some weird and scary standards, thigns like sending students solo, no matter what there performance is really like!! And they do full ndb letdowns after a mere 20hrs training, and use 4 year old no longer published approaches (pointed that one out and they wouldnt believe me). Also the school runs with only Cpat khashav rules, they dont have a usable ops manual, nor do they have any current documents, just copies of copies of copies.

Basically, it sux, money stinks, management stinks, and I can get you further info from 3 other instructors who left who were there with me. 2 now in aussie (they are of indian decent, and me in sth africa).

post here if anyone has specific questions...

ABbusdriver
21st Nov 1999, 11:37
Who is it?
I worked there for two and a bit years from 93 to 96.
Things just went down hill all the time while I was there it sounds like the pay hasn't changed either!

goldenboy
21st Nov 1999, 17:07
well it sounds like another China Southern to me..........

maybe Barney Fernandes has a twin brother!!!

ozpilot
21st Nov 1999, 17:24
Thanks for the advice ah and AB. It certainly does sound a bit of a worry. I have applied for a job there and have been told that the pay will be 5000 ringitt a month, which at current rates is no more than what I make in my current job in Australia.

Any further info would be great. What about hours flown and was there much twin work for newer instructors? Is there any scope to negotiate on pay and conditions?

Sounds like other Asian flying schools where promises are made, never kept, and then used as a bargaining chip to keep people working there. Thanks again.