PDA

View Full Version : PPL Ground school study

BobFlyer
9th Aug 2004, 21:28
Dear all
I am after some advice on studying for the PPL Exams as I can't seem to get to grips with some of the subjects in particular Meteorology. I have been using the Oxford/Transair CD Rom
but find it hard to retain the information I have also tried using the Jeremy Pratt books but find I can't seem to take it in when reading from a book can any one help or give me some advice as to which is the best material.

Thanks

tired-flyboy
9th Aug 2004, 22:10
Buy the PPL confuser

and go over and over the questions and answers - it'll stick it just takes/needs time.

especially Met!!!

:ok:

Port Strobe
9th Aug 2004, 22:24
I'm not sure that there are many, if any, "unconventional" methods of learning the material. The tried & tested method is read the books, most importantly understand what the book is saying, do the feedback questions (i.e. PPL Confuser for PPL level, its available from Transair), then after you've completed the feedback and understood your mistakes you should be ready for the exam if you got a decent mark in the feedback questions. As for the best material I've never read a Jeremy Pratt book but a lot of people say they're good books, I used the Trevor Thom books personally and found they were brilliant, very clear explainations to the level required for the exam and slightly beyond in some cases. I'd say wait until a few people have passed on their advice and gauge the reaction but I reckon most have gone through the books, completed the feedback and sat the exams.

Noggin
11th Aug 2004, 12:00
Try "Pilots Weather" by Brian Cosgrove published by Airlife ISBN 1 84037 0270

Probably the best illustrated met book around. Written by a met man and microlight pilot. You can purchase it from the BMAA.

Learning the answers for met is not the answer! You fly in it, you need to understand it or you may not live to regret it!

Pronto
11th Aug 2004, 12:39
Did it from the books. When I did my exams, the best series was Ron Campbells (this was before Trevor Thom wrote his). Had no problems myself - first time pass.

I echo the advice from others, work through each section in whatever book you're using, then check understanding from any test questions which are included in the book (or are available seperately). If the information hasn't stuck, go over it again until it does.

My "top tip" for learning is not to just read the book, but to make notes as you go along. The act of writing down what you've just read seems to make it stick better. Once you read over those notes, you may also see areas where you haven't fully understood what the book said and now have the opportunity to rectify the deficiency. I then use my notes for my final pre exam revision. Works for me!

Good luck.

mazzy1026
11th Aug 2004, 15:19
I have my MET exam on Sunday. I have the Jeremy Pratt books and find them great. I must admit, bits of MET can be very daunting. Perhaps reading over the section twice will help. It wont take that long, there is only 150 pages or so and you could do it reasonably in a week.

The PPL Confuser is a MUST, but only use this once you have read the theory sections and have a decent understanding otherwise, like said above, you will only be learning the answers to the questions and not the knowledge behind it.

Best of luck and let us know how you get on.

Maz :ok:

Whirlygig
12th Aug 2004, 15:56
There's not just the PPL Confuser but also a very good book called Q&A for Private Pilots by Holden & Brett. I think that's what it's called and who it's by (I do know that it was updated by Dorothy Hockings) but until my instructor gives it back, I can't be certain. I found it very useful and a good measure of the real thing.

I would reiterate what others have said. Try the Trevor Thom books, make notes as you work through and try his practice questions at the back. These are not multi-guess but where you actually have to write an answer but they test your understanding better.

Cheers

Whirlygig