PDA

View Full Version : best aerobatic book??

green dinosaur
9th Aug 2004, 19:43
I would like to buy a good basic aerobatic manual. Any thoughts?? which is the best

Thanks

G-KEST
9th Aug 2004, 20:19
There are quite a few around and the best will depend on which type of aircraft you are going to use.
With my tongue firmly embedded in my cheek I can recommend "Basic Aerobatics" by Ron Campbell and Barry Tempest if you are usung a Cessna Aerobat as it really was written round that aeroplane type and its characteristics. Some facets of legislation are a little dated as it needs a new revised edition in that respect. Possibly early in 2005. Hope you really enjoy aerobatics: it has been my chosen sport and pastime for over 50 years.
All best wishes,
Trapper 69
(Barry Tempest MRAeS)
Armageddon Aerobatics
www.tempest.ndo.co.uk
;)

DB6
9th Aug 2004, 21:13
Up until quite recently that was a difficult question to answer as there are several to choose from and none I can think of that are particularly poor. However last year the definitive text on aerobatics was published: look no further than 'Better Aerobatics' by Alan Cassidy (also the current British National champion). Costs about £34, ISBN 0-9544814-0-2.

IRRenewal
10th Aug 2004, 02:46
If you happen to be flying the C150/152 you could do worse than buying 'The Basic Aerobatic Manual' by William K Kershner, ISBN 0-8138-0063-3. Can be found on amazon.co.uk (http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0813800633/qid=1092105133/sr=1-5/ref=sr_1_8_5/026-6236357-4010028) for some £16 so you don't have to pay inflated pilot's shop prices.

Kershner wrote the Cessna 150 Aerobatic Training Manual, and updated that information in this book. Easy and fun to read (reminder to shout 'clear prop' before cranking the engine with the starter should it stop in flight made me laugh). Data on 21 turn spin is impressive (but I haven't tried it myself yet).

Regards

Gerard

TheKentishFledgling
10th Aug 2004, 09:00
I think as a starter, "Aerobatics" by Neil Williams is the best, and then Alan Cassidy's "Better Aerobatics" after that. I had a read of it at a friend's the other day, it's much more advanced than Aerobatics.

tKF

javelin
10th Aug 2004, 10:02
Flight Unlimited by Eric Muller and Annette Carson gives a very easy to read introduction to aerobatics. It is difficult to obtain but well worth it. Try writing to Annette Carson at PO Box 250, Morningside 2057, South Africa.

stiknruda
10th Aug 2004, 11:08
I have most volumes on this huge subject and know two of the authors mentioned above and a couple of the ones listed lower in this post.

It all depends what you want to do, how far you intend to progress and to a lesser extent, what aeroplane you fly.

As much as I enjoy Aerobatics by N Williams it does not tell you how to fly the maneouvers very well, IMHO. Cassidy's book is very prescriptive and it is far easier to cherry-pick than read it cover to cover - a great book if you are intent on improving your aeros.

Flight Unlimited 95 Muller/Carson is a very readable book.

The Szouzy/Goulian books are good as the pictures and drawings are very clear, in fact clearer than Alan Cassidy's.

For neo-aerobatic Pitts pilots, Fly for Fun and Fly for Fun to win by Bill Thomas are very useful material. Spins in the Pitts Special by Gene Beggs is also "character" building!

I've never been brave enough to try aeros in a Cessna Aerobat so really can't comment objectively on Barry's book but it does cover more than just the basics!

The Duane Cole series (Roll Around a Point, Conquest of Lines, etc) are quite useful primers but do not give the the depth or detail that you'll get from Alan Cassidy, Eric Muller or Mike Goulian.

Stik

TheKentishFledgling
10th Aug 2004, 15:24
Duane Cole's "Roll Around a Point" is the first book I read on the subject, and it really got me interested.

It cover the basics of flying aeros well, IMHO, but doesn't overwhelm the reader with complex aerodynamics at too early a stage.

tKF

PS I'm not saying a good aerodynamic understanding isn't important..!

foxmoth
10th Aug 2004, 19:16
if you are using a Cessna Aerobat

I think the only aerobatic aircraft WORSE for learning aeros in the the Auster (yes there are aerobatic versions).

djpil
11th Aug 2004, 11:24
only aerobatic aircraft WORSE - this is worthy of debate. I haven't aerobatted an Auster (J5? and J2) for a very long time and there's a good reason for that. I found many more types which were more pleasant to do aerobatics in but none worse that I can recall. The Cessna is a great little aerobatic and spin trainer - what it can do; the skill needed to do it properly; at that price is hard to beat. However, my personal choice for a basic aerobatic trainer is the Decathlon.

I haven't seen Alan's book down this way - I must put it on my Xmas wish list. I'll put an advance order in for Barry's now if that will ensure delivery early next year.

Last I recall from Annette was that all her stock went to the IAC (http://shop.eaa.org/html/01_iac_books.html?cart_id=) but its not listed there so maybe out of stock. More books here. (http://acro.harvard.edu/ACRO/acro_books.html)