View Full Version : Rome FCO-rwy assignment short final

alexban
9th Aug 2004, 15:22
Hy
Coming to FCO:
Informed by all previous sectors to expect radar vectors rwy 16L, also by the actual controler.
3000 ' on heading west,4NM to intercept localiser 16L ,then the controler instruct us to descent 2500 ,and clear to intercept : "16R" ????
All prepared for 16L,and now shortly to intercept, rwy change 16R. change navaids,fmc,maps,briefing and all this while turning,descending and reducing speed.
We did it allright cause it's not the first time when we arrive at Rome FCO,but all I ask is why it's all this necesary?
It hapens a lot here,almost 80% of the time they change their mind so late.Why don't you assign us from the begining 16R,so I have time to prepare all my stuff ?
A lot of trafic on 16L,and we,coming from the E ,are send ,bellow the traffic to intercept the 16R.
Don't take me wrong,but it's a little frustrating,at least,to be told 'vectors for 16L' more than one time,than,just as I start to think it's time to intercept,the clearance come ' turn ..,clear to intercept rwy 16R?!@#$
Can some FCo controller explain me the reason for all thins?
Thks Alex

TopBunk
10th Aug 2004, 06:24
Alex

You mean just like FRA - the guessing lottery as to which runway (esp if you're not a LH callsign)!?

This is what route knowledge and hours gives you - the experience to know what to expect and to plan for it in advance by having the minima to hand, having reviewed the missed approach profile, reviewed the performance, navaids required, taxi charts, etc. Use the, if available, secondary route feature of the fmc/fmgs and program in the other runway, the activate it when the change arrives.

Notice here, I haven't yet mentioned the good 'ole U S of A and LAX etc!! Only one runway change - you were lucky!

BBJet
10th Aug 2004, 07:02
And just like CDG, to name another one

For Alex, had same experience at FCO almost every time there.

One thing that seem to help quite often is to ask for 16R (which is usually more convenient as far as our gate is concerned) at initial call to APP. Traffic permitting ATC tend to help and there´s no problem then.

Anyway, totally agree with TopBunk,have all charts ready on the window.

Take care.