PDA

View Full Version : London Ashford Airport

englishal
8th Aug 2004, 16:15
...aka Lydd.

Thats like saying "London Southampton International Airport"....

:}

Andy_R
8th Aug 2004, 18:49
As in "Brighton & Hove City Airport", i.e. Shoreham

BEagle
8th Aug 2004, 19:24
Or even 'Frankfurt- Hahn'? Which is further from Frankfurt than Oxford is from London!

Flyin'Dutch'
8th Aug 2004, 20:03
Ah, you guys have obviously not been to LKI yet.

Ask Cusco for details.

FD

LKI = London Knettishal International

surely not
8th Aug 2004, 22:41
Ahh so not confusing then.... I thought Ashford Apt had been re-opened, but then when I flew on Skyways Air Charter, Ashford was Lympne and Lydd was down the road at Dungeness.

So Lydd is now Ashford, and Ashford is a business park.

Mike Cross
9th Aug 2004, 07:38
Last time I used Ashford International was for their scheduled service to Paris.

I was hoping for some nice views while crossing the Channel but we ran into solid IMC immediately after departure - in fact it was so dark outside it could have been night and the Captain switched on the cabin lights.

However we soon popped out into brilliant sunshine over northern France.

The pilot seemed obsessed with low flying, to the extent that we even flew under a number of bridges.

However the terminal in Paris was very centrally placed with good Metro links, unlike Charles de Gaulle.

Dave Gittins
9th Aug 2004, 12:47
Nice one Mike, the first time I used that particular "airline" my GPS showed us at a steady 162 kts most of the way, which proved the claims they were making, that with the shorter check-in time and landing in the centre of Paris, they were door to door quicker than the other airlines.

I did note that the nice new smooth airway in England is a severe improvement on the old French airway which seems bedogged by turbulence whenever I have used it.

It was also a bit unnerving when the Captain insisted on dodging beneath the finals traffic into CDG.

Fly Stimulator
9th Aug 2004, 13:59
I was recently flying along above that 'airway' in Kent and was overtaken (undertaken?) by the high-speed traffic below me.

Oddly enough Manston Radar had failed to alert me to its presence.

False Capture
9th Aug 2004, 21:52
Any airport which describes itself as ".... International" is clearly suffering from an inferiority complex. ;)

Flash0710
9th Aug 2004, 22:21
has it an ILS yet?

Have Gatwick missed it :rolleyes:

Great Views of nuclear powerstation from restaurant.

Ideal

F:E